Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Product Review: Milsek Furniture Polish...

a public service to inform.

We need something to lighten the load after the Trump/Kelly snooze fest we endured yesterday.  Seriously.  Kelly was trying to do her best Barbara Walters imitation.  It didn't work.  She made it all about her, her, and her.

I'm a huge fan of Gary Sullivan's radio program At Home With Gary Sullivan.
DIY has never been bigger, and Gary Sullivan is radio's DIY man. With over thirty years of home improvement know how, and over a decade of broadcast experience, Gary will help your listeners build it up, tear it down, fix it, or replace it.
His advertising and recommending Daich Spread Stone™ Mineral Select™ Countertop Refinishing Kit led to me to refinishing my kitchen counter tops which look wonderful.  I subsequently refinished the top of my dining room table and my buffet with the same product. Daich also makes products to refinish sidewalks, garage floors, and such.

One of his newer advertisers is Milsek Furniture Polish

From their website: 
 We are the manufacturers and distributors of the complete line of Milsek products lead by its star – ‘The Original’, Milsek Furniture Polish & Cleaner with Lemon Oil.  The Milsek Formula was created in 1914 when the first stone was placed on The Lincoln Memorial, Wrigley Field was built and World War I began.
A Hungarian Immigrant by the name of Zolton Csiky, who was a master cabinet maker, created this formula to keep his hand crafted creations healthy and conditioned.  His wife Julia was inspired. She collected catsup bottles from friends and family, washed them out, filled them with Milsek, and sold them door to door during The Great Depression. An early entrepreneur!
Much of my furniture is painted, but I do have some wood furniture.  It was when he mentioned putting the furniture polish in water to clean wood floors that I headed directly to the Milsek website to read up on the product.  Then, as is my way, I headed to Amazon to read reviews, which were all good.  Still not convinced, but having found an Amazon supplier who charged $8.46 plus free shipping, I ordered a bottle.

We have wood parquet floors in our entire house.  I was presently using Pine-Sol to mop them periodically. The floors are about 20 years old and I really wanted them to look shiner without having to refinish them.

My polish arrived quickly and I grabbed a rag, headed to something wood.  Following the simple directions (put it on and let it dry), I smeared it on a small table I had refinished years ago.

Oh my!



In the past I've used regular lemon oil, Pledge (not for years), other furniture polishes, even Armour All (I know!) but I've never used anything that made that table look so good.



Next up, I spied a little wooden box that had belonged to my mother.  That little box is way over 70 years old and over the years had gotten to look pretty bad.  It was dry and stained.  My last attempt to make it look better was to use wood cleaner and paste wax.  It still looked pretty bad. Not any more.


I went completely cuckoo at this point and ran around the house looking for anything that was wood.  I discovered I had more wood furniture than I thought I had.  Two antique desks, a small china cabinet, and a drop leaf antique table in the bedroom all got the Milsek treatment.  They all look wonderful.

The final test was the floors.  I vacuumed, added a 1/4 cup of Milsek to a gallon of water and pulled out my mop.  Hallelujah!  While the floors did not look bad before, they certainly looked waaaaaaaay better and had the shine I wanted.  The coffee table also had the Milsek treatment and looks like new.



I've waited for awhile to make sure I like this product before doing a review.  The first thing I noticed is that the dust factor was rendered almost zero.  We live on a prairie and our road is gravel.  Dust is a problem.  Usually within a day or two of cleaning the table tops look dusty.  A week after using Milsek, the furniture didn't look dusty.  Perhaps it has a dust eating ingredient?  I don't know, and don't care.  My furniture and floors look great.

Milsek also makes a stainless steel cleaner, a  leather cleaner/conditioner, a gun stock and barrel cleaner, antiques and restoration product, and musical instrument cleaner.  I only have two stainless steel items in my kitchen and I used the furniture polish on them and they look great and resist fingerprints.  The plastic door on my micro-wave had some scratches. Milsek made them invisible.

I've already purchased two more bottles and plan on getting the leather cleaner conditioner for our car.

Gary Sullivan mentioned something on his show about using it on plastic or resin outdoor furniture.  I haven't tried that yet, but I will in the future. 

It's also recommended for wood paneling, wood kitchen cabinets, and  granite counter tops.

Here's some tips for using Milsek Furniture polish:
  • Wear gloves because it leaves oil on your skin and you'll be washing your hands often drying them out.
  • If you put too much on and it drys spotty, just run a dry cloth over the surface.  All fixed.
  • Use a microfiber rag.  I found some microfiber wash cloths at the Grocery Outlet that are the perfect size and very inexpensive.  When the application cloth gets too dirty, it can simply be thrown away.
Do yourself a favor and head over to Amazon and get yourself some Milsek Furniture Polish.  You won't be sorry.

Thanks, Gary!







No comments: