Monday, December 7, 2015

Product Review: Daich SpreadStone Mineral Select Countertop Refinishing Kit...

as I said in my first post about this product - outstanding.

Back in October, I refinished my kitchen counters using the Daich SpreadStone Mineral Select.

I was so impressed that I ordered the Spread Stone™ Mineral Select™ Countertop Refinishing Kit  in a beige color called Coriander Cream to redo the top of my dining room table and buffet.  Both are painted with latex paint, but, sad to say, it doesn't hold up well on the tops.

My original plan was to stain the tops with a dark wood color and paint the rest.  I'm too impatient to get good results with home staining, so the tops were painted.  Latex paint will work for tops of furniture if you are willing to let it cure for at least 30 days and apply a good paste wax.  That's not happening around this household.

So here's how it went:

Top of buffet before.  Not a pretty sight.  This was an old beat-to-death buffet that I picked up for about $25.00.  It wasn't until I was painting it that I realized a bunch of trim was missing.  Things like that don't bother me.  I think it has character. 

(you may click on pics to embiggen):

 


Step One: Rough up surface. 

Top of table with the leaf in and left slightly open.  The table has two leaves, but I'm only going to redo one ('cause I'm lazy.)


Step Two:  Base Coat.  Wait about an hour and do second base coat.



Step Three:  Stone coating.  Wait two to four hours and do second stone coat.


Step Four:  Wait 24 hours and sand stone coating.

Final Step: Seal
 


Yay! 
 





The table back to its small round size.  Leaf stored in closet. The table has matching end chairs with arms, but hubby likes to roll around so we use chairs with castors for end chairs.


The mirror appears to be positioned rather high, but ordinarily there is an Ansonia antique porcelain clock that lives there.  I didn't like the clock being in front of the mirror so I raised the height a bit.

It also makes it perfect for my Nativity scene at Christmas.

The Holy Family figures are old Italian hand-painted figures that you could buy at Woolworths five and dime. These figures have been in my family for over 70 years.

The Wise Men were made by my mother about a year or so before she passed away 35 years ago.  They're made from fabric dipped in glue and draped over an armature like those used for clay sculptures.  I think the faces were paper mache, and the hair and beards were made with glue dipped yarn.  I think she did a lovely job.







No comments: