Sunday, November 30, 2008


Cyber Monday

****Tomorrow is Cyber Monday. This is a day when on-line sales are encouraged by merchants. Most of us do not like the consumerism that has overshadowed the real reason we celebrate Christmas. I will be the first to agree it has gotten more than a little weird.

****However, this is not as new a phenomenon as some would have you believe. When I was a young girl, back before electricity and flush toilets, people were already complaining about the commercialization of Christmas. As a child, I can remember pouring over the Christmas edition of the Sears Catalog (before it was taken to the outhouse), picking out all the loot I wanted. This was a process that took many, many hours spread out over many days.

****The early Church wanted to ban this whole idea of gift giving, but the people prevailed and the Church decided to put a religious spin on it by linking it to the gifts of the Magi and to the fact that Jesus is the best gift ever - which He is.

****The Victorians really cranked it up a notch and gift giving has been growing ever since, until it has become this guilt-ridden, stress-inducing hysteria that causes heartburn and pimples.

****My husband and I celebrated our first Christmas by giving each other gifts. Hubby had not picked up on the concept of gold and diamonds yet, and so I received a beautiful sweater that was a shade of gold guaranteed to make any dark Italian look like they were soon to expire from a virulent case of jaundice. I don't remember what I got him, but I'm sure it was wonderful.

****We decided that year not to ever exchange gifts again. Instead of wasting time and energy, we would purchase something for the house or just go shopping together for an item we may have needed. It's been over thirty years now and this method has worked well for us.

****I'm not suggesting that this is the only way to "do" Christmas, and I sure wouldn't try this with your kids. But one way to cut down on the stress is to take advantage of the internet. Retailers have jumped on the "cyber bandwagon" and tomorrow is Cyber Monday, a day to sit in front of your computer with a cup of coffee and do your shopping.

****Both my husband and I make a portion of our income on the internet. My husband sells instructional material for guitar, banjo, and mandolin. I market my daylilies in the summer and also sell on ebay. A significant portion of my purchases are also done online. No fuss, no bother, and no time-sucking shopping trips to the mall or driving from store to store.

****I encourage all of you to shop online. Almost all of the retailers are offering deep discounts, free delivery, or other inducements to get your business. I have included links below that will take you to sites with links to most major retailers, plus coupons you can use.

****Giving gifts should be fun. We do it because it makes us feel good but, for heavens sake, keep it sane, sensible, and never forget that Christmas is to welcome our Lord and Saviour. Offer your love as a gift to Him.




*
Lewalt Publishing Guitar, 5 string Banjo, and Mandolin Instruction since 1974 - gift certificates available for the musician in your life. Mention my name and receive a free gift with your order.
*
* * *
*
Cheerful givers do not count the cost of what they give. *Their hearts are set on pleasing and cheering the person to whom the gift is given.
Julian of Norwich
*
*

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"so I received a beautiful sweater that was a shade of gold guaranteed to make any dark Italian look like they were soon to expire from a virulent case of jaundice. I don't remember what I got him, but I'm sure it was wonderful."

Hil flippin' arious!

LOL!

Terry Nelson said...

I love Christmas and houses and streets and stores decorated, and all the Christmas merchandise. I don't buy a thing any longer - but I apprecciate commercial Christmas - it makes the season so festive and bright.

John said...

Great idea. Thank you.

You can also buy online from Benedictine monks or sisters/nuns. Here is a post of mine where you can Buy Benedictine from six online monasteries on three continents! Way to go monastics!

Online Benedictine Gift Shops.

Mark D. said...

Funny and spot on. My wife and I are slowly moving around to the approach you and your husband have taken to Christmas gifts. This year we are getting each other activity oriented gifts -- outings, lift tickets (for my wife, an avid skier), iou's for day trips, etc. Much better than junk!

Kathleen Miller said...

Adrienne,

Great post.
I am trying to do my part in encouraging and promoting literacy in children. For a great look at some wonderful children's books, please stop in at my blog. Or visit www.childrenloveusborne.com

Happy Reading!

Adrienne said...

Terry - I agree. I would prefer that some of the houses not be quite so overdone but I love the Christmas feeling of bustle.

John - Thanks for the heads-up!

Mark - good for you. We also on birthdays get to pick our place to eat and hubby has to go with me to T.J. Maxx, Hastings, and maybe even Big Lots - with no complaints!

Kathleen - Thanks for reminding me!!

Anonymous said...

Hello everyone,

Here's another great sight for Cyber Monday 2010 shopping. It's called Cyber Monday Central. Seems to be pretty complete and actively updated. They also have email price alerts.

Mike Linfisk