Friday, May 31, 2019

Kick your digital crap to the curb for the weekend...

trust me - you don't need it.

That sounds like a funny thing for a blogger to say.  It is.

Isn't it adorable?
I don't have a smart phone.  I actually am close to being phoneless.  I have a little phone that makes and receives calls. I could theoretically text, but I don't.  I turn it on about once a week and check messages.  Usually the message box is empty.

I don't do Twitter, have no interest in Instagram, and my Pinterest page was abandoned about 2 weeks after starting it up.

Before you accuse me of being all finger wagging better than you, I still have a PC that drags me away from more important stuff I should be doing while simultaneously destroying my posture and wrecking my neck.

And it worries me.

I've decided to start by severely limiting my screen time on the weekends. 

On Cal Newport's blog today he posted On the Pleasures and Sorrows of Life Without Screens.
[...] When people contemplate the declutter process I suggest in my book, in which you spend 30 days away from optional technology as a prelude to simplifying your digital life, they often predict that the main challenge will be compensating for the benefits and features they’ll miss out on. 
But this prediction is almost always wrong. Most people report that after a week or so of some mild withdrawal symptoms, they’re surprised by how little they miss the features of services like Twitter or Instagram. 
The real problem — and this surprised me — is figuring out how to deal with all the free time this move toward minimalism suddenly injects into your life. READ THE REST

Don't be this person!


I posted this powerful video back in May of 2014.  It has close to 62 million views and over 553K thumbs up.  Clearly it's been on my mind for a long time and many other people agree with me.  It's time to break free.



More:

Robert Glatter, MD: Digital Addiction:  A Recipe for Isolation, Depression and Anxiety


Amazon Today

How to Break Up with Your Phone: The 30-Day Plan to Take Back Your Life Kindle Edition



I receive a small commission when you purchase through my links - at no additional cost to you.  Thank you from the bottom of deplorable dirt person heart.




No comments: