Saturday, February 16, 2008


Transformation


Today’s reading in Deuteronomy is a powerful reminder of our Lenten journey. We begin Lent with a good idea of what we want to accomplish. We have list upon list of all the things we are going to do to help us grow in holiness. Usually about this time, we come to the realization that we may have chosen to do more than we can handle.

Yet in today’s reading, we see what God has promised us. He is making an agreement with us and telling us we are to be a people peculiarly His own. He tells us to keep His commandments so He may raise us high in praise and renown and glory above all other nations. We are to be people sacred to the Lord.

God doesn’t tell us to read a certain amount of scripture each day or abstain from eating chocolate. He simply tells us to keep His commandments. The two great commandments are; love God and love our neighbor.

Reading scripture and giving up chocolate and all the other pious practices are good things to do. Far too often, however, the fundamentals of our Christian faith are ignored while we fret about what we didn’t manage to do in any given day. We become frustrated and sometimes even angry, not only with ourselves, but with others.

Past a certain point, there is nothing we can do to affect change in our lives. Inner transformation is a gift from God, originating from the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Frustration, anger, and sadness block the goodness and grace of God.

As an alcoholic, I was taught how dangerous and destructive anger and resentment can be. Although others may entertain such emotions, they are deadly for an alcoholic. I believe they are deadly for everyone.

Psalm 119 – Happy are they whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the Lord.

7 comments:

Kit said...

Outstanding (as always!) Adrienne. Much [non-chocolate] food for thought on a Saturday. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

My Mom was an alcoholic, and 20 years after her death, I can tell you that as an adult of 61, I still suffer from a lot of that frustration, anger and sadness you're talking about. I think the Lord is hinting that this Lent is a good time to commit myself to Him so He can heal this mess inside. I sure can't do it on my own! thank you for your post, and God bless you.

Adrienne said...

Anon - my Mom was also an alcoholic but was in the program from about the time I was 9 years old. Adult children have alot of the same problems as alcoholics.

My husband is also an alcoholic with 17 years in the program. As my pastor says, "the 12 steps are very Catholic.

Thanks for stopping by:)

Daughter of Annie said...

Adrienne's - greetings - I am new to the blog world and I really enjoy you blog. I also am a Catholic - raised in the Catholic church. I enjoy reading all
Christian blogs but I am interested in other Catholic blogs because I do, most of all cherish my Catholic traditions - hope you vist my blog soon.
www.dautherofannie.blogspot.com

Adrienne said...

Kit - you mean that yummy chocolate picture, right?

Hi Annie's Daughter - thanks for stopping by. As we say in AA - keep coming back, it work's. Not sure if that really applies here but it sounded good.

Kit said...

Adrienne...oh yeah...the chocolate! We had a birthday to celebrate yesterday so we all cheated shamelessly.

But seriously...I have been struggling with the "exteriors" of Lent and often chide myself for exactly what you state - focusing on the chocolate (and other petty 40-day sacrifices) far more than the real sacrifice - the interior changes that need to be made, and the fortitude to withstand/brush off the trivial stuff so I can work on bigger matters. So I really did enjoy the post.

After wiping off the drool. ;-)

Adrienne said...

My husband and editor thought the post was just ok, but LOVED the picture! LOL