Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Public Service Announcement: DaTechGuy gives some good advice...

and I'll add to it.

We interupt our news/politicts blogging for a public service message about spam
As you might know I spent a lot of year in the tech field fighting virus, cleaning spyware and giving people advice on how to keep from being nailed by online scams etc.
When you see this stuff every day you sometimes forget that there are people unfamiliar with the scams out there, so for the benefit of those who might not know, here is an example of a phony e-mail trying to get your data read the rest
Allow me to add that when you get one of those annoying pop-ups warning you your computer has been infected such as this:

DO NOT CLICK ON "REMOVE" ALL OR "IGNORE."  If you're a dummy like me, turn off your computer and call your computer guru.  This trojan morphs so fast that the average person can't keep up with the fixes.

When surfing the web, pay attention to the address (URL) of a website before clicking through.  If the address looks suspicious, stay away from that site.

If you don't have Malwarebyte, get it.   After my last little go-round with the above trojan, I opted for the paid version which blocks the trojan before it enters your computer.  So far it has been well worth the small amount of money compared to paying my guru to fix the computer.




 

No comments: