Friday, November 25, 2011

It's Black Friday...

so what!

While I'm in favor of capitalism, the spectacle that ensues on the day after Thanksgiving has become more than a bit weird.  Pepper spraying someone to get a cheap plastic little waffle maker - little being the operative word here, is outside my ability to comprehend.

One video going around gives us privy to some woman's big behind with her ugly polyester pants sliding down exposing her inner plumber.  And she needs a waffle maker?  I actually feel a bit sorry for her.  Does she realize that the entire world is watching?  My advice?  Buy longer tops. 

And the occupests decided they wanted to disrupt all this shopping going on today.  Why?  Those are the 99%, aren't they?  They're supposedly helping the economy, aren't they?  What person would be stupid enough to think they could get between a black Friday shopper and a waffle maker?  Silly question.

Stacy McCain unleashed his biting wit and sizable writing skills (I'm eaten up with jealousy as I struggle with then/than and commas) to expound on the silly question I just asked. 

#Occupy Black Friday?
Among the many things we should be thankful for this Thanksgiving, despite our current economic woes, is the free enterprise system. But guess who doesn’t like capitalism?


We know Occupiers are stupid, but the fathomless depth of their ignorance simply amazes me: How do you demonize “corporations” but exempt from your criticism the shoppers whose purchases supply revenue to those businesses? read the rest - it's priceless

Anyhoo, Mary Ann Krietzer, over at Les Femmes, asked the question:  Do You Shop on Black Friday?

My answer to her?  (Glad you asked) 

Adrienne said:
ONE time we did it and only because my hubby thought it would be a good idea.

It was years ago at our local Target. Understand that in North Idaho people still behave fairly well.

Anyhoo, they had a CD player that seemed like a good deal (turned out it wasn't that hot of a deal.)

So hubby says the day before, "We should drop by the store in the morning and perhaps purchase one."

I looked at him in amazement and said, "I don't think you understand how it works. We'll have to be there at 4am, stand in line, and hope you can snag one before they run out."

So he gamely got out of bed at 3am and we headed off to the store. He almost had a stroke when he saw the peeps lined up all the way around the outside of the store.

We hopped in line and when the doors opened we were lucky enough to have a store person direct us to the new pallet being brought in way over in a corner opposite the electronics. I snagged the last one just as some poor women was dithering (no dithering allowed), we paid, and left.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I find the whole spectacle a bit nauseating. It reminds me of how a pride of lions acts after a recent kill. Actually - I think the lions behave better.

But you see, I'm old enough to remember when ladies got dressed up to go downtown shopping, stores were closed on Sunday (blue laws), and people generally behaved a bit better. 

Matthew Archbold, over at Creative Minority Report, has some good advice, "I just stayed in the toy aisle."

Father struck a thoughtful comparison - and we thank him.

Black Friday and Good Friday

And MOTUS (bless her hard-working heart) brings us: 

Post Turkey Day Wrap Sheet


No comments: