Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Did you get a chance to see the Romney/Perry debate?...

there were six other people there, too.

The big issue seemed to be Social Security.  Is it a Ponzi scheme or isn't it?  Personally, I think it comes closer to legalized, mandated theft - but that's just me.

And I'm really tired of "seniors" being depicted as a bunch of cowering, simple minded, diaper wearing idiots who live in a constant state of fear that their government pittance will be taken from them.  Note to all whippersnappers:  We are the last generation to have received even a modicum of education.  We can read, write, and think.  And most of us know that SS is a Ponzi scheme.  My mother, if she was alive, would be about 98 years old.  She knew it was a Ponzi scheme 60 years ago.

That's all for now.

More:

T. Christopher, over at Republican Redefined,  has one of the best reviews of the debate - mainly because I agree with him.
  
 Tea Party Express/CNN GOP Presidential Debate Recap

10 comments:

ABNPOPPA said...

No, I did not. Having said that, I hear on the tube and paper it was a very lively discussion between them. Pawlenty going with Romney? Hmmm, what's he thinking, VP.

Pops

Hey Adrienne, Thanks for stopping by my Conservative Outrage blog.

Pops

Priscilla said...

For my sins, I watched the whole thing.
I read the RR piece and you're right it was well done.
I live solely on my late husband's SS, since I taught in a private school with no retirement pension. It is just enough to let me live, not well, but adequately. I am sure my daughters will not get a penny of the money they have been required to pay the government Ponzi.
I'd vote for any Republican who will change the mess it has become.

Subvet said...

I've never counted on anything from the government, believing that "Uncle Sam giveth and Uncle Sam taketh away. Uncle Sam is an Indian giver!"

These days that sentiment will get you drawn and quartered by the PC police but hey, it fits.

Adrienne said...

Pops - I'm always watching for your posts...

Adrienne said...

Priscilla - always nice to hear from another educated person...

Adrienne said...

Sub - too true!!

Old Bob said...

I know that Social Security is going to grind to a halt. I'm not sure it's a Ponzi scheme or was intended to be.
It was set up when average life expectancy (a statistical fiction) was shorter, and there were more young people than elderly.
Then came the baby boom, BUT --
Both abortion numbers and abortion rates were highest between about 1979 (just after Roe) and about 1991, when the Boomer women (who hit the college campuses between 1964 and 1979) were in their reproductive years.
I believe the death toll is about 54 million; some of those aborted would have their own children by now.
More to this point: about 25.5 million of those deaths occurred between 1973 and 1998, and one can presume that the vast majority of those people would be in the work force and paying into the fund.

Adrienne said...

Bob - people have made that point (re:abortion) before and it's a very valid one.

The solution? Raise retirement age to one year beyond the projected life expectancy and, whoohooo - problem solved.

Republican Redefined said...

Thanks for the link Adrienne and for "agreeing" with my take on the event. Also thanks to Prescilla for checking it out and speaking favorably of my review.

I am admittedly undecided as to which candidate I prefer in this race at this point, but I am supremely confident that ANY of them - save for maybe Ron Paul - would doing everything in his/her power to improve the condition of SS. It's no longer an issue that can be overlooked and ignored. And sad as it may be - and as politically dangerous as it may be - it is going to take a Republican to fix what many generations of politicians have broken. Anyone that wants to sign up for that political flogging is okay in my book.

Blue said...

:)