Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Is Healthy Family Farms being unfairly targeted or is there more to the story?...

Matt Drudge linked to an article at InfoWars:  Raw Food Raid: Armed Agents Bust Raw Milk & Cheese Sellers.

Accompanying this article is a rather inflammatory picture of what appears to be a swat team.  If you view the video of the raid at InfoWars, you will see agents dressed in rather normal looking casual clothes.  Were they armed?  Probably - they're agents and they're required to be armed.

Something seemed a bit weird about the whole story, so I headed off to the comments - often a wonderful way to shed additional light on a subject.  It didn't take long to find what I was looking for.

Comment on the InfoWar article that started me looking around:
Mike Letorrez says:
I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but this farm is as crooked as the hind leg of a dog. I live a mile away from this farm and have been following their story for some time. This farm has been duping people. They sell way more eggs, chicken meat, lamb, etc. than they can produce, and they resort to buying commercially fed non-organic product, then repackage it at their facility in their own package and sell it to honest people who think they are eating organic. They have even been caught feeding commercial non-organic feed to the livestock that they do have. Don’t believe me? See for yourself at “unhealthy family farm dot com” (www.UnhealthyFamilyFarm.com)
There are pictures that prove everything. The lady that runs this place has a long criminal rap sheet full of charges relating to fraud in one way or another, and also has family ties to the Aryan Brotherhood. Don’t rush to jump on this crook's bandwagon!!! She deserves to go down, she gives the honest organic farmers a bad name by resorting to fraud and deception.
My comment: Actually, the pictures he speaks of at UnhealthyFamilyFarm.com don't prove anything at all.  They could have been taken anywhere.  The whole site seems strange, but do click on the newspaper articles (mostly from the LA area) which identify her accomplice in the mortgage scams, Edward Rostami, as an Iranian national with whom she has had several children.   Hmmmmmmm.

Next we come to:

Comments from a Filmore Gazette article dated 1/09 about Sharon Palmer expanding her farm to its present location:
Ha ha ha . . . . oh say it aint so! Well at least Sharon has moved on to milking cows instead of milking unsuspecting elderly widows out of their life savings through mortgage scams!!
Sharon Palmer (Ross) was arrested a few years ago as she was trying to enter the U.S. at the San Ysidro border crossing with three Mexican nationals in the trunk of her car!!
She had fled to Mexico after scamming an elderly widow out of her $1 million dollar home.
And this was AFTER she had already served a state prison sentence for swindling an elderly home-owner out of nearly $750,000 in a similar scam.
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/-home-base-mortgage-brokers/story....
http://articles.latimes.com/2000/jul/19/business/fi-55157
 Submitted by slow on Sat, 01/10/2009 - 8:41pm.
It is the same person, she is still scamming people. Check this link out
http://www.ventura.courts.ca.gov/civcase/casereport_rob.asp?CASE_TYPE=D&...
And this one, A Bench warrant issued for not paying a small claims case on 12/02/08
http://www.ventura.courts.ca.gov/via/CaseInformationSummary.aspx?CaseNo=...
Oh heres a new one, trying to scam the local hay dealer
http://www.ventura.courts.ca.gov/via/CaseInformationSummary.aspx?CaseNo=...

People dont change, just change how they rip honest people off.

The above commenter, Slow, left the same comment at The Complete Patient blog, who was trying to sift through the different stories.  Sharon Palmer left a comment to give her side of the story.
January 14, 2009 | Registered CommenterSharon palmer
Hello All...I am here to explain about several comments made about me. This explanation is for those who have a common goal in our lifetime...Health,Family and Happiness. I am Sharon Palmer, the farmer. In 1998, a mortgage company owned by my spouse and his family fell into legal and financial troubles. It left me homeless with three babies.

My father, who was a sport fisherman, had a small cabin in Rosarito, Mexico. At that time, there were no legal problems involving me, I took my children and lived modestly while trying to rebuild my life. I worked with 2 churches that helped sick and homeless moms and children. I befriended a family that had illness in their family and needed to get medical help. I did drive family members to the U.S., but I was not charged because the authorities knew of the church and the circumstances.I have no regrets in helping this family.

This incident, however, resulted in my arrest for my husband's mortgage company problems. They could not find him, so the authorities held me for 9 months in county jail, without a court hearing, until they found him. I was not an owner of this company, not on the bank accounts, not on the corporation, and never met the victims.

I settled for time served to be reunited with my children, which resulted in a felony. I didn't have to pay restitution to victims--common in fraud cases--because my husband ran the business. He served 5 years.

The loss of my family and resulting helplessness convinced me to join with my oldest daughter and my mother to develop a more natural and pure business...Farming. My Mom and daughter purchased a farm in Fillmore.

The day we moved our entire family in, we realized there was no water on the farm. Having no farm experience, we were unaware of the necessity for well tests,and we took the real estate broker's word that everything was okay. The broker and associates saw us coming--three women with no farm experience and not familiar with the area. We lost the farm and my daughter and mom have a lawsuit against them. This is where "Joe Slow" and the badmouthing come in.

To the person who states I owe them $1,400, please call me...if I made a mistake in billing or failed to pay someone, I am sorry.

I believe in what I do. I will continue to support my community with healthy foods and always try to do my best. These negative comments about my past issues have truly saddened me because the real issue is about our controlling government and poor commercial food choices. Small family farms need the public's support. I am sorry you had to endure the negative unrelated issues.
So which story is the true story?  Time will answer that question.  In the meantime, keep your wits about you and "trust but verify."  I have no love for the FDA and actually find them to be somewhat of a rogue department and dangerous, but I hesitate to think they spent a year investigating a quaint little farm lady just for the hell of it who was only intent on raising organic food . Maybe I'm suffering from a case of normalcy bias, or maybe I'm just being cautious.

I like Alex Jones of InfoWars.  Some of his information is solid, but he has a tendency to sensationalize unnecessarily.  It is the main reason some people think he's a kook and he should be more cautious.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alex covers a lot of important stories the corporate media ignores. However, he sometimes jumps to some wild conclusions.

Adrienne said...

Trestin - he's not the only one that does that. Some very mainstream bloggers i.e. Gateway Pundit do the same thing. If they're trying to mimic the National Inquirer they're doing a very good job.