Friday, August 6, 2010

Rodinator - A Sure Fire Way to Improve Your Mood

...well, maybe not for you, but it rings my bell.  I'm heading out to dig up pocket gopher tunnels and place poison pellets for their lunch.  They are everywhere!  If I had my druthers, the Rodenator would be my first choice.   I am seriously considering investing in one and going into business.

Meantime,  the Park and Rec department in Spokane has been lambasted for using a Rondenator to control ground squirrels that are causing tens of thousands of dollars of damage. 

Debate rages about use of squirrel-detonating Rodenator in Spokane, Wash.

 There is no one that loves animals like I do - really!  But pocket gophers will feast on your tree roots (as well as my daylily roots and that's my living!) , until there is nothing left alive.  Entire alfalfa crops have been wiped out by pocket gophers.  

I've had to educate myself on pocket gophers and their control.  There are no visible entry ways to their tunnels.  I use a long metal skewer to locate the actual tunnels which are usually within a foot of one side of the mound.  After digging a hole you can find the tunnel and place the pellets.  A Rodenator would be faster and kinder.

Check out the Rodenator guy.  He's having waaaay too much fun.

10 comments:

Adrienne said...

Sub - I just knew you would love the Rodinator.

Father Erik would probably love it, too...

Larry Denninger said...

Awesome! The Bond-esque theme music is perfect.
I want one - and I don't even have a rodent problem.

Adrienne said...

Is it sort of "boyish" of me to think this is cool? I used to have a Thompson sub (not a sandwich ;-) and I really loved that, too.

Fr. Erik Richtsteig said...

I GOTTA GET ME ONE OF THESE!

Adrienne said...

Father Erik - I KNEW IT!!! Is that not the coolest thing? Notice there are no comments from women? Is there something wrong with me? Naaaaaaw!!

Amusing Bunni said...

Wow, I don't envy you having to get rid of them, Adr.
I have wierd animals in my yard too, that's why I don't plant veggies.
And, the squirrels here are crazy, they are eating using my fire bush tree leaves. But, what can you do. I wouldn't want to hurt one.
I did put poision out for a rat a while back. ewwww. there are messy neighbors, and all the vermin collects.

Good luck Gopher Hunting. I want a rodintator too.

Adrienne said...

Bunni - Another girl who wants a Rodenator. Yay!

I don't like hurting animals either, but it's a circle of life thing. If you saw the damage they are doing to my property you would have no problem blowing them to kingdom come.

These are not nice cute little animals. They are a vicious ugly pest. While usually hiding underground, they have been known to attack cats and hurt them if they get cornered. One reason I'm glad they stay underground the majority of the time.

Sarah Oldham said...

I think that thing is bitchin! I wanna nice piece of land just to use that thing!

Adrienne said...

Sarah - We just discussed my getting one in the spring and actually hiring out to help pay for it. The original model is about $1500.00 and they have some new remote-control ones that I'm afraid to see the price.

Father Bill (lives next door) just paid some guy $75.00 to come out, dig up a few tunnels, and throw in some pellets. Trust me - it wouldn't work. I'd gladly pay in the hundreds if I knew for sure the job was getting done...

Adrienne said...

ooops - won't work...