Sunday, February 14, 2010

Sophie

I'm sorry for having not gotten to the comments and for anyone who had to endure reading anything my troll posted for the two days I did not have comment moderation turned on.  There are some very sick people in this world. 

This afternoon Sophie joined her best friend Elle.   She had a long and wonderful life.  We will miss her.


Reprint from an earlier post:

Sophia, called Sophie by her friends, is my husband's dog. We rescued her from the Humane Society just before her date of execution. Sophie had been abandoned on the side of the road, along with her puppies, in the Silver Valley of North Idaho.

We had been calling the shelter every day for weeks waiting for a smaller dog to come in and be made available for adoption. One day I called and the young lady described in glowing details this wonderful little gold dog. I turned to Harold and said, "Quick, get your coat and lets go, it sounds like your dog."

When we arrived they brought Sophie out and she took one look at Harold and displayed the most amazing set of teeth. Folks, she wasn't smiling.

"Ummm, there were a few things we didn't mention on the phone" said the perky little girl.

No kidding.

This poor little dog had probably been abused, and as a result, was terrified of everyone. She was deemed un-adoptable by the shelter, but the girls working there fell in love with her and kept trying to pawn her off on someone.

After observing her from across the room for about 30 minutes I was getting a bit impatient with the whole thing. I told my husband to sit down, marched across the room, told Sophie we were tired of this nonsense, and took her and pounced her into Harold's lap and promptly fled. Sophie, frozen in fear, looked around, sighed deeply, and laid her head on Harold's arm. It's been there for over 17 years.

22 comments:

Packrat said...

Oh, Adrienne, I bet both of your hearts are broken. Why do these animals worm their way into our hearts??? I'm shedding tears with you. HUGS.

Agnes B. Bullock said...

Adrienne, Prayers to you and your husband. If there is anything else we can do, just ask.

Adoro said...

Awwww! I'm so sorry for your loss, and..aww...your story of how you got her. I've never met you but can TOTALLY see you doing that! Amazing how dogs just *know* their homes! Give your husband a hug from me....and you, too!

Kalona said...

I'm so sorry--it's hard to lose a pet, but when you lose two so close together it must be incredibly painful. I'm glad that you and Harold had many wonderful years with sweet Sophie. Prayers that you will be comforted.

Mark D. said...

Adrienne,

I am so sorry for your loss. You'll be in our prayers tonight. What a remarkably long-life she had though -- 17 years! You must have taken very, very good care of her for all those years...

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry. Prayers doe all of you.
RJW

Anonymous said...

Dear Adrienne, I am so sorry for your loss. Sophie was part of your family and it is never easy to part. I rescue dogs and cats. My home is filled with society's throw aways. They have given me so much more than I could have ever imagined. Truly they are God's Blessing.

A friend left this for me today and I want you to know that today of all days will be imprinted in your heart forever.

… the wind caressing curtains hung from above an open sliding door – the sea spread out below, the laughter of its spray dancing on the rocks…

… the smell of roses, mixed with jasmine and rosemary fill the room. The sense of comfort, relaxation, and childish pleasure congeal to cleanse the soul…

… the hope of spring, innocence, rebirth and joy confuse and distort the dreadful days of winter – the recent past is but a distant memory…

For one solitary day, we can celebrate love for what it is – when the mind says yes even if the body and spirit urge caution… When people can take up the cause of love if for no other reason than it is illogical, incomprehensible, and wonderful in all of its vast unknown qualities – all waiting to be discovered…

Love can be worshiped every day, if only we can close our eyes and imagine… Imagine that yes, it is possible to forgive and forget – even the biggest of all trespasses, which is the enslavement of the mind…

Love takes work – hard work. It ain’t easy, yet if love were easy nobody would respect it for the transformative power that it is…

Darkness and light, goodness and evil, joy and sadness – all dance together in this thing called life… The important thing is for us all to hold tight and remember that the more we find out about life and love, the more we want to experience it, because its mysteries are boundless…

Fr. John Mary, ISJ said...

I'm so sorry, Adrienne and Harold.
Losing a dog is a real suffering; they become so much a part of our lives, our companions and friends.
Prayers for you and hope you are okay. Blessings.

Jan said...

I am so sorry about the loss of your beloved pet. Having recently lost two of ours, I know how sad this is.

Mary Ellen said...

As everyone else has already said, I'm so sorry for your loss. Just the thought that you took that poor dog in when no one else wanted her, shows that you were a match made in heaven. My heart goes out to you and Harold.

Patty said...

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Pets definitely do become an important part of our family. Our last 2 pets were cocker spaniels...mother and son. It was very difficult when we lost them.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

God bless.
Patty

Sarah - Kala said...

What a terrible blow. Many prayers for you. HUGS across the pond!!!

MightyMom said...

well, you've had a crappy year so far! geeeeez.

Subvet said...

My prayers are with you and yours.

Tracy said...

oh Adrienne, I'm so very sorry.

EC Gefroh said...

Oh Adrienne, not another loss of a beloved pet. My heart goes out to you and your husband. I loved the story of Sophie's homecoming.

Terry Nelson said...

I'm so sorry. This is so sad - thanks God she had the two of you. Prayers.

Lola said...

I'm so sorry.

But, I know your Sopie and your Elle had a little bit of heaven with you.

God Bless you and your husband.

belinda said...

Oh no, not again. I'm sorry.

Tom in Vegas said...

Crap.

This is simply too much. Poor H must be feeling this one as well. Enough of this. I think we've lost too many loved ones (four-legged included, of course) in recent times.

I'm so sorry for this recent loss.

Anonymous said...

Adrienne, i'm so sorry for your loss. Pet's are given to us for a comparitively short amount of time compared to an average human lifespan. It is, I believe, our duty as carers for our pets, to provide food and shelter and an abundance of love. I think you can safely say that you have provided not only for Sophie's physical needs, but that you have lavished upon her an enormous amount of love. You have served your dear Sophie well, and she has given you both an incredible wealth of affection and many happy memories.

Ebeth said...

Ok Adrienne, you got your 3, now you can relax....I hope!

So very sorry for your loss...this has been quite a few months for you two! Give Harold a hug for me and you are in my prayers.

Hopefully, with a bit of quiet, comes the desire for more love. You both deserve it!

Hugs!
Ebeth