Saturday, January 9, 2010

Starving the Monkeys


Most of my time today was spent reading my new book, Starving the Monkeys, by Tom Baugh.

I urge each and everyone of you who is wondering what exactly is going on in this country and concerned for their own well-being to purchase this book.

I was a bit skeptical when I went to the Starving the Monkey website mainly because what I read there fit so neatly into my world view.  Then I thought this book would be some scammy thing to try and get me to buy something (gold anyone?)

Expecting a book light on content with wide margins, "fat" paper, and lots of blank pages, imagine how I felt when a book with 400 "thin" pages, smallish print, and teeny margins appeared on my doorstep.

In my usual ADD fashion I devoured the beginning, read the ending, and am bouncing my way through the interior.  I have found nothing to disappoint, but plenty of extra to ponder.

Go to the Starving the Monkey's website and read what Mr. Baugh has to say.  And then order the book from his store, his Amazon link, or my Amazon link.  Just get it!

I'm taking tomorrow off to finish the book (if I don't finish tonight), and will be back to discuss the philosophy put forth in this book and why I , from personal experience, know so much of it is true.




After you order Starving the Monkey's, take a few moments and read:

When to Shoot the Colonels by Tom Baugh 

 

 

4 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

Thanks for the tip on the book, it sounds interesting. And now I also feel better because I sometimes read books like you do...and there's no doubt in my mind I'm ADHD, which is obvious by my blog posts. :-)

Fr. John Mary, ISJ said...

Yeah, well Auntie Adrienne, and Mary Ellen, I'm a member of same club, "ADHD"...makes life verrrry interesting, no?
Just talk to my confreres!

Katie A. said...

Hmmm... sounds interesting. I'm definitely starting to feel like the emperor has no clothes. Yesterday, I went shopping to exchange a couple of gifts, and they wouldn't even give me store credit without my name, phone number, and address. I had receipts! And when I said I'd rather not share that information (out loud, in the middle of a public place), the girls behind the counters looked completely baffled, as if it could never occur to them why a person wouldn't want to just hand out their personal information at every turn. (In the past, I had one salesgirl snap at me, "Don't make such a big deal out of it!") You can't even make a regular purchase anymore without being asked for your address and phone number. It's creepy.

Anyway, that's what that book made me think about. All of the people who mindlessly share without thinking. Even fifteen years ago, there would have been a lot more people asking, "Why would you need that?"

How I do go on! Sorry to vent.

Sarah - Kala said...

I agree with Katie.
I try to pay with cash as often as I can so no one can ask me anything. They can't argue with cash. Different when exchanging stuff. I would maybe ask the sales person, "WHY? Are you going to send me a birthday card? Are you going to phone me? Does it protect my return when you give me a store credit????" C'mon. A gift card is what you get when you get store credit. It's very run of the mill - anyone can use them. Anyone who finds them, is given them, or takes them. No one asks for ID on store gift cards. They just swipe 'em.