Monday, August 17, 2009

Insanity


"You really can't do health reform" without allowing the government to compete with private insurers, said Howard Dean, a former Democratic Party chairman. "Let's not say we're doing health reform without a public option," he added in a slap at the administration's latest move.

His remarks were echoed by lawmakers as well as AFL-CIO President John Sweeney, who said the option was the only way to force "real competition" on the insurance industry. source

How can these people continue to make such patently false and utterly ridiculous statements? Let's vet what these two lunatics said.

We'll use moi as an example. I have a daylily nursery. I grow the daylilies, add to my selection yearly, and work the fields. When an order is placed I must dig, clean, trim, pack, and mail the plants. I'm required to pay taxes on the profit.

Suppose the government decided there wasn't enough competition in the daylily business. In an effort to level the playing field, they plow up the east lawn of the White House, and using my tax dollars, buy a bunch of different daylilies. They hire 5 people, put them on the government payroll, and send them out to plant and tend the crop. When an order comes in, they send a different crew out because the union doesn't allow the tenders to dig and pack the plants. After paying the government workers their union wages, there is no profit so they don't owe any taxes.

They charge less, but their daylilies are not near as nice as mine, and they tend to run out before the end of season, necessitating long waits for people anxious to get on with their landscaping. At the same time, they put 42 government regulations in place that monitor which plants I can grow, how much I can charge, and 40 other pesky little paperwork time killers. Of course, you can't run a business like that forever without going bankrupt. But, not to worry! When they completely run out of money, a quick trip to the printing presses solves that problem.

Is this competition??



11 comments:

Homestay Mama said...

You're absolutely right! Great example, great explanation!

Lola said...

I think they're just going to expand Medicaid.

Not that we can afford that either.

Austringer said...

Great analogy, Adrienne!

Speaking of packing up daylilies, I tried to send you a private e-mail asking for a price list and shipping information, but I haven't heard from you -- perhaps I sent to the wrong e-mail address?

Adrienne said...

Austie - try my "regular" email:

adrienne at icehouse dot net

I checked my spam files but it may have gotten lost in the deluge of mail I receive each day. I really wish to send you some Cheery Lynn as a gift...:-) - just because...

Adrienne said...

Lola - I dealt with many Medicaid patients when I was working as an optician. It was not a pretty picture...Most those people had no business getting anything for free. Nuff said!

Adrienne said...

Thanks Homestay -

Tracy said...

Fantastic Adrienne.. thanks for your honesty!!!

MightyMom said...

well, I'm just hoping my daylillies live long enough for me to get them in the ground next week!

some still have green on them so I'm hopeful. I'm gonna soak em good before planting....

the roses went belly up. except for the 2 tyler roses I bought. My kids are keeping all the plants (even the dead ones and the empty pots) WELL WATERED from the swimming pool. I'm hoping once I get the roses int he ground and they have a chance to dry out they'll bloom again....

Katie A. said...

They may charge less, but it doesn't cost less... sort of like how a McDonald's hamburger costs 99 cents to buy, but then costs $3 in healthcare down the road.

And that's all I'm going to say! I don't like getting political on the web. LOL.

RightKlik said...

Every time I connect the dots, I come to the same conclusion. ObamaCare isn't about compassion or competition or quality or cost. Obama wants to conquer the health care industry. It's that simple.

Convenor said...

Please link to our blog: www.catholicheritage.blogspot.com

God bless you!

St. Conleth's Catholic Heritage Association