Friday, July 24, 2009

There is no health care crisis!

I have to agree with Stacy McCain about Ann Coulter's column on health insurance - it is excellent and to the point.

Stacy's comments on the article are also succinct and mirror my feelings exactly. My husband and I never had health insurance except for the few cases when I worked a job where it was part of my compensation. And guess what? Nothing bad ever happened which is the case for probably 99% of the people in the world.

Each year I went in and had all my "girlie" things done and, hope you're seated, paid for it. Lots cheaper than paying beau coup dollars every year for coverage we didn't need. Once I even broke my leg and just popped into the privately run Emergency Care place. Total cost including x-rays and a boot for my leg? About $500.00 which is equal to about one months premium (if you're lucky.)

The people that I know that are covered with big policies from their employers are running endlessly to the doctor for every little thing under the sun. And don't fall for that old argument of "preventative" medicine. The yearly exam is sufficient to catch anything that may need additional attention.

When did we become such a nation of weak, fearful people endlessly worried about some catastrophe or another, and why are we so willing to fall for the manufactured crises that flow from Washington? You take a bigger risk getting in your car and driving to work every day.

2 comments:

Mark D. said...

One of the interesting things that is becoming apparent, at least from the stuff I've read, is how ineffective "preventative care" is. In many instances it costs far more money than traditional approaches to medical care, and often it is completely ineffective at warding off disease. As we come to understand more fully the hereditary factors that play into diseases like cancer and heart disease, I think that we will find that "preventative care" doesn't really do all that much good.

ashley said...

I am in total agreement about not seeking medical attention for every little sniffle, or worry. "Preventive care" doesn't do much for most people. I understand that nothing catastrophic happens to 99% of the country; however, I have been scared into thinking that health insurance is a necessity.
My brother was young and completely healthy until he suddenly wasn't. After almost two years they're still not sure what's wrong with him. He has spent more 12 of the past 22 months in the hospital with several stays in the ICU, received more than 200 L of blood products, had an anaphylactic reaction to a $30k/dose drug, and needs an organ transplant sometime in the future. We are incredibly thankful that he has complete medical coverage. There's no way that that he and his wife, or even the extended family, could afford his medical care.
I'm all for high deductibles. I'll pay for routine care out-of-pocket, but I am afraid of the possibility of facing catastrophic illness or injury without medical insurance.
Sorry that this got so long. I don’t support Obama’s plan, just have a different view on the necessity of health insurance.