Tuesday, June 17, 2008



Have one
for Me.


Please!




Before we move onto Step Nine (scary), lets talk a bit about how folks react to my alcoholism. Just recently, someone who shall remain nameless, sent me a virtual margarita on Facebook. You may ask why someone would send a margarita to a drunk. Let me tell you why. It is because alcohol is my problem, not theirs. Why should my problem change the way they think or act? It shouldn’t and I’m glad it doesn’t.

I have a disease, disorder, or disability, depending on whom you speak to. I really don’t care what you call it, the end result is the same; I don’t drink alcohol. Before anyone out there starts feeling complacent about their own lives, let me remind you that everyone, in some way or another, has a disease, disorder, or disability.

We all have things going on in our lives that through the grace of God, can be overcome. Take a quick trip through the Ten Commandments and you should be able to come up with a pretty good list of your own “disabilities.” We Catholics call it an examination of conscience.

When I finish my work tonight, instead of having a martini in a cut crystal glass with perfectly cracked ice and several anchovy-stuffed olives (I was a very fussy drunk), I will have a homemade, iced sugar-free coffee drink. If you don’t have a problem with alcohol, then I hope you will have a margarita or martini this evening. Maybe you should even have two, one for yourself and one for me. That would be nice. I promise I won’t hang over your shoulder, slobbering and speaking gibberish. Alcohol is a non-issue in my life and I want it to be that way for you too.

What I would like is for you “normies” to benefit in some small way from the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous and my journey. We consider our “problem” to be 10% physical and 90% mental. That means you guys have a pretty good chance of suffering the same “defects of character” that we have.

Once I was complaining to a fellow traveler in the program about an annoying person in my life. After I was through with my rant, he turned to me and said, “Darlin’ you have to feel sorry for them. You have a program and they don’t.” My journey is guided and illuminated by the teachings of the Catholic Church. The Twelve Steps are a supplement and a tool that can be utilized by anyone.

And hey, if you want to be my friend on Facebook, you can send me all the margaritas or martinis you want.

14 comments:

Tracy said...

Excellent post!!!

Please click on my profile and add my new blog address, I got rid of my old one:)

the mother of this lot said...

I loved this post Adrienne. And if I was having a margharita tonight, I'd certainly have one for you!

Unknown said...

Have one
for Me.


Done and done! My dear, ask me for more favors.

gemoftheocean said...

damn. olives stuffed with anchovies.
I want some for my pizza.

EC Gefroh said...

Thank you for sharing this with us Adrienne. BTW, how does one know when someone has a problem? Since everyone is different I was wondering if there is a sure way to tell. I come from a non-drinking family so even one drink a day to me seem excessive. Thanks!

Adrienne said...

MOTL - thanks for the thought. You can always have a coffee drink like me.

Tracy - will do...

Simple - thanks for putting yourself out for me:) I can tell having those two drinks is going to be such a trial......

Gemmie - even people that don't like anchovies like anchovy stuffed olives. Just a hint a saltiness. Right now I have HUGE green ones from Costco stuffed with garlic and jalapeno. Yum!

Esther - good question. I think I'll address that in my next post so I guess you'll just have to wait.

As to the "one" drink? That idea doesn't even exist in my mind - or in the mind of most drunks. Who the heck ever heard of one drink?????

uncle jim said...

just for you - really - i am going to not have that 15-year old single malt beverage with my name on it ... just for you!

Elisabeth said...

You know, I hadn't thought about it for a while - "having a program" makes a LOT of difference in a LOT of things! Bless ya, Bella!

Elisabeth said...

oh, yeah...
I'll have unsweetened iced tea with you, okay?

Mark said...

Have one for me

Don't mind if I don't!

I'm never bothered by the offers, although you'd think some people, after 10 years, would stop offering! :)

If you ever get down to Boise let me know you are coming; I've always got soda and lemonaid in the icebox!

Mary Rose said...

Adrienne, I always love how you "keep it real." Really, there is no other way when you're on the path of recovery. I love how you "release" others. You don't blame anyone. You don't strike an offended pose. You simply say "You are you and I am me and me needs the program." I thank God for the program and for meeting you.

Yeah, I'm super-mushy and usually have people say, "Oh, alright, already! Now scoot before I have to hit ya!"

So...I'm scootin'! ;-D

Kit said...

I will lift a ginless tonic and lime in your honor tonight (hearing in the a.m.), and perhaps the real thing tomorrow if I don't take a long, long nap when I get home! Your example of recovery is an inspiration, and while I don't have the disease of my fathers (thank the Lord!), it is something I am very aware of and watchful for among my loved ones.

Cathy_of_Alex said...

That Facebook person (me) sent before thinking! Also, I was a dolt with the interface!

I appreciate this post. I'm glad you are dealing with me and your addiction in a forthright and healthy manner.

I mean that in a good way-totally, free of my usual snark.

You are an amazing person.

Terry Nelson said...

"What I would like is for you “normies” to benefit in some small way from the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous and my journey. We consider our “problem” to be 10% physical and 90% mental. That means you guys have a pretty good chance of suffering the same “defects of character” that we have."

Excellent point. (as all of your posts!)