Saturday, June 14, 2008



Annual A.A. Picnic

and

Long Timers Meeting

Today my A.A. home group is hosting our annual barbecue and Long Timers Meeting. It is open to all A.A. groups in the entire area and we usually have about 100 to 150 folks come. After much eating and drinking of soda pop and coffee (well it is A.A., after all), we get to hear the "long timers", those with 20 years or more, speak about their journey to sobriety. My A.A. birthday is July 25 and I will be 19 years old. So I guess I'll be waiting almost two years to speak.

My home group meets at our church, St. George's in Post Falls, and Father Bill always lets us use the hall for our party. The Knights have a huge homemade grill that we get to use and everyone brings salads and sides. Isn't Father Bill good to us?

I'm sure I'll be all fired up to do the next step in A.A. after listening to many, many inspiring stories.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations (if that's the right thing to say!) on the many years of your sobriety! Hope you had a very enjoyable day.

Tracy said...

Congratulations on your sobriety!!! Hope this is a very special day for you:)

irene said...

I know this is a special day for you. In AA, every day is a special day -- enjoy!

The Fixer said...

lol hope it is a v. special day x x

ignorant redneck said...

My problem wasn't with booze. My problem was with drugs. Mostly cannabis, in any form, then other things, like opiates and 'shrooms.

I've been sober for three years.

This is entirely due to the grace of God.

God is good.

Congatulations, and I'm glad your sober! Having ahistory like this, well, it sure shows us we have to depend on God!

Tom in Vegas said...

Happy A.A. Birthday!

Tell you what, you not just talk- the-talk (or is it write the talk), but you most definitely walk-the-walk!

Thank you for posting the 12 Steps for Catholics.

God bless.

Elisabeth said...

You "old-timers" are such an inspiration. I'm grateful for the ones I know. My dad had a cousin - I lost track how many years he'd maintained sobriety, when he died of cancer, fifteen years ago.

Y'all are in my heart.