Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Non-Denominational Bible Study?

Unfortunately, I’m seeing more and more Catholics attending what they call “non-denominational Bible studies." Attendees are almost always ladies who are probably more attracted to the social aspect of such gatherings than by what they may learn about scripture. In most cases they are the only Catholics attending.

My usual response to this information is, “there is no such thing as a non-denominational Bible study; it is either Catholic or it’s not Catholic.” When questioned about how they deal with such passages as John 20:23 concerning the Sacrament of Penance or, Matthew 16:18-19, with all that pesky Peter/Rock stuff, their answer is, “they just don’t go there.” Huh? You’re going to have Bible study with whole parts left out because you may disagree?

The saddest part of this scenario is that the folks attending these non-Catholic Bible studies are usually the ones who know the least about their faith. If they knew their faith, they wouldn’t be there. So, here they are, sitting ducks for the other attendees to “kick sand in the eyes of their faith.” Are the non-Catholics bad people? Of course not. What they are is people who have a faith based on “Bible only” and they are going to do their best to help their poor deluded Catholic friends. Many times they help them right out of the one, true Church.

How much better, gentle reader, to start a Bible study in your church, or at least, coerce someone else to start one. I’m good at that! Non-Catholics recognize the need for community and use Bible study gatherings to good effect. Let’s learn a lesson from them, and some scripture, too.

By the way – we are not a “denomination” (which means “to take a new name”); we are the Church. Those who are separated from the Church are members of denominations.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay!!! Good post!!!

Some time ago a fellow parishioner met with a local evangelical preacher. His congregation had been giving her husband a hard time at work about his faith. Anyway, V. went to see the pastor. She was well armed with scripture verses to support Catholic teachings knowing he wouldn't accept tradition or the magisterium. When she talked to him about divorce and communion he just said, "oh we don't go there." Huh?! You claim to be a bible believing church but then you ignore parts of it??!!! What a hypocrite.

Tom in Vegas said...

Excellent point you make in the last paragraph.

I'm going to have to agree with you completely, but for additional reasons that should be mentioned. Scripture study is adult reading and does require a comprehensive and mature understanding of hermeneutics. Some segments of biblical studies require a historical understanding of what it was like to live as a first century Palestinian Semite. Otherwise you interpretation can be completely skewed. This doesn't mean you can't read the bible or study it on your own. But it does offer a warning to Catholics "examining" scriptural passages with a group of unschooled neophytes that assert that the Bible should be taken literally in areas where it shouldn't (and vice-versa).

Tom

PS

We have tradition, too. So what the Church Fathers handed down to us isn’t always in the Bible, not to mention the changes made to the original cannon by the Protestants.

Anonymous said...

im not to sure if this was the assignment, but i would agree with that.

gemoftheocean said...

I agree with your caution, and certainly "bible study" with a so-called "non-denominational group" can be a danger to a newbie. I have a great friend though that is extremely well schooled in the bible from a Catholic perspective. (He was in the seminary for 7 years, and dropped out just before the diaconate.) But he by his skillfulness turned some protestants around and also by his careful questions and expositions got a Mormon thinking about his own faith.

But you're right - that's not a task for amateurs unschooled in Catholic perspectives.

Rachel said...

When I was Protestant I went to Bible Study Fellowship, which is an international organization that has both the Bible study and the fellowship down to a science. For a Protestant it's a wonderful group and I loved the people I met there. BSF bills itself as inter-denominational, but the teaching notes clearly push a Protestant evangelical interpretation of the Bible, and all the leaders are required to sign a statement of faith that rules out Catholicism.

My mother was a BSF leader and reports that there were lots of Catholics in BSF and the leaders were always glad to see them join, hoping they'd come to a better understanding of the truth. I agree with everyone else; Catholics who don't know their faith well should stick with Catholic resources until they know it better.

Thanks so much for adding me to your blogroll! :)

Anonymous said...

I went to Bible Study Fellowship off and on for the last 4 years. You're right, it's an excellent study and I too loved the women in my small group. But the "rules" imposed by the BSF headquarters, applicable to all groups, finally got to be too much. We were told where to sit, what door to use, and our prayer requests had to be approved in advance by the small group leader. The last straw was when I was not allowed to have bottled water to help with hot flashes. I dropped out and never missed it, frankly. I'm in a Bible study now at my church which is much kinder and gentler. Thanks for allowing me to post on your board -- I confess to being a Methodist! :)

Adrienne said...

Anon - thanks for stopping by. Some of my best friends are Methodists (only kidding). Everyone is welcome here. This is a "no bash" zone.

Anonymous said...

I am currently in BSF. I must say this years study tried me with the study of Moses. I am strong in my faith and make certain to know my Catholic teachings. I am struggling with sitting silent or correcting when only protestant views are heard. Idol worship brought out some discussion about the "big church with the pretty windows". It was difficult. I am there to get out what I need and leave the rest. I don't understand the "don't read any other commentaries" and then we are told to "make sure to read the note - they are great". I stumbled upon your site while I am trying to figure out what then answer is to the Catholic in BSF question. -Chris btw

Pauline said...

Ten years ago, before the birth of our second child, I converted to my husband's faith. I had grown up in a conservative Episcopalian home, and Catholicism made perfect sense to me. This is my second year in BSF. We are studying Isaiah, and I did not realize just how differently the Bible is interpreted between Christian faiths. Occasionally, my answers to the group discussion questions are met with blank stares, or comments about my individual trust in God. Many of the questions about scriptural meaning are answered for me right there in the footnotes of my St. Joseph edition Bible; but they are obviously not the "correct" answers. BSF does have an excellent early childhood program, and I do intend to stick with it until my two year old ages out. These folks do love Jesus, and do know the Bible. They just know it in a very literal way. Be careful.