Thursday, November 8, 2007

Erica's Story


As we came down our road one night early last summer, a little creature hopped across the road. I thought it was a rabbit and was pretty amazed, as we had never had rabbits on or around our five acres before.

It was several more days before I saw the tiny cat in our back field and realized it was the hopping creature I had seen. For many days I saw the little cat but could not get close to her. She was wearing a collar so I wasn’t too concerned. After a few weeks, I decided to feed her. When I could finally pet her, I was shocked to discover she was a skeleton wearing a fur coat.

As the weather became colder, she was given a bed in the barn. Soon the bed was put in a large insulation-wrapped cardboard box, and shortly thereafter, my own heating pad made its way into the bed. By now she had a name; Erica.

Every day Erica sat by our back door and gazed into the house already populated with two dogs and another cat. Her face said it all, “I want to be part of this family.” One night the temperature was to drop very low and yes, gentle reader, Erica was allowed to sleep in my office. As I write this she is curled in a ball on her very own table next to my computer.

I’ve thought often of the faith that little scraggly cat demonstrated. She knew in her little animal “soul” that she would have what she desired. She was always calm and quiet as she watched through that door. Her persistence and patience paid off.

How would our lives change if we had just a little bit of the faith Erica had; if we could gaze through the eyes of faith at Our Lord with calmness and quiet? How would it feel if we absolutely knew, with no reservations, that the Faith of Our Fathers – the Catholic faith -- contained all the answers we would ever need?

Erica taught me about patience, persistence, and most importantly, about the power of faith. Be vigilant, gentle reader, for you never know who or what is going to teach you a lesson.

P.S. Erica is named after the Phantom of the Opera, Erik, to whom she bears a striking resemblance.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

God works in mysterious ways. And Eric-a is beautiful! Welcome to the blogosphere, Adrienne. This blog of yours is terrific.

Tom in Vegas said...

They might be considered 'just an animal' by some, but to those of us who love them they take on the qualities of another human being.

A very dear human being.

Melody K said...

What a sweet kitty!

Adrienne said...

Aw shucks --- Erica

Anonymous said...

I am glad you love cats too!

xxxxxx said...

I am so glad you took her in!!

Many cats become feral.

I love your insights on all the topics. You have given me much to think about!