Friday, August 21, 2020

PSA: Do you need Berberine?...

 probably.

Let's head into the weekend by doing something for ourselves.

Back on the 13th, Zero Hedge posted, America's Obesity Epidemic Threatens Effectiveness of Any COVID Vaccine.

I'm not really concerned with over-weight people (which it seems is just about all of us) being vaccine resistant, since I don't know anyone who will get this vaccine.

am interested in the fact that contributing to our epidemic of obesity is crappy food, too many carbs, consumption of wheat and grains, lack of exercise, and not getting enough sleep.  

Our modern diet has led to a further epidemic of metabolic disorders such as pre-diabetes and insulin resistance.  That's why so many people are doing so well on the Keto/Primal/Paleo way of eating.

But, what if that's not working for you and your doctor is concerned with an elevated fasting blood sugar level, a clear indication of insulin resistance?  By all reports one in three Americans are insulin resistant. 

The first thing your doctor probably wants to do is put you on Metformin or a similar drug to artificially lower your sugar readings if Keto/Primal/Paleo is not fixing your elevated readings.

One of the surest signs of insulin resistance is belly fat and difficulty losing weight.  I rarely eat wheat or grains, eat lots of veggies, and moderate protein, almost no sugar, and still my tummy is still there and my blood sugar levels are uncomfortably high.  

So, somewhere or another, I bumped into an ancient Chinese herb called berberine.  The easiest article and most informative is, Berberine – A Powerful Supplement With Many Benefitsover at Healthline.

If you want mind numbing detail the National Institutes of Health on the Efficacy of Berberine in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes would be the article to read. 

What is berberine? Berberine is a chemical found in several plants including European barberry, goldenseal, goldthread, Oregon grape, phellodendron, and tree turmeric.

So, I have to ask, "How come doctors continue to prescribe Metformin (a nasty drug with ugly side effects) and don't recommend trying berberine when it has proven to be as efficacious as Metormin? Could it be all those perks the drug companies offer doctors? 

After doing lots of research - something I suggest you do also, I ordered NOW Supplements, Berberine Glucose Support, Combined with MCT Oil for Optimal Berberine Absorption.

 I started taking it three times per day with meals not quite two weeks ago and the results have been astounding.  I've lost inches off my belly and about 5 pounds.

Starting later today I will start taking blood sugar readings immediately before a meal and 30 - 60 minutes after to identify any problem foods that may be provoking blood sugar spikes. 

Keep in mind - this is not magic!  You can't keep stuffing your face with carbs, wheat, and fizzy drinks. But, if you need a bit of help with your weight loss, berberine may be for you.

I'm not a doctor. I don't even play one on TV.  Therefore, don't take my word for it. Do your own research!


  Berberine has side effects - none of which I've experienced, but you may.   

Another good article is Everything you need to know about berber


And tomorrow??

I am so looking forward to being with like minded peeps.




No comments: