Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Getting some perspective on the current situation in the Ukraine...

what's really going on?

Ran into this a few days ago at the website of Charles Hugh Smith, Of Two Minds.  Definitely worth a listen in order to better understand the situation in the Ukraine.  There's been way too much disinformation floating about the blogosphere.

My long held belief is that all wars are fought for only one reason; economics, or to put it more crassly, "follow the money."  There may be other sub-categories of reasons, but the overriding impetus comes from the desire for wealth, control, and power - three concepts that are closely linked.  
From YouTube:
Gordon T Long and co-host Charles Hugh Smith discuss the current situation in the Ukraine from the perspective of what westerners must understand about the escalating crisis. As usual it is about Power and Money and has little to do with the needs of the Ukraine people. The public must not confuse the needs of sovereign powers with the strategies of the 'elites', or as Charles Hugh Smith refers to as the "Deep State".

)


I finally started The Gathering Storm by Winston Churchill, the first in a six book series on WWII.  In the back of my mind there was a lingering feeling of dread about this project thinking it would be a dull and ponderous read.  Not so.  Only several chapters in, and so far I've had numerous moments of, "Whoa, I didn't know that!"

It's also becoming crystal clear how events that are happening now could be predicted by past events - even before WWI.  Yes, I know, "Those who don't remember the past, are condemned to repeat it."  I've studied the Civil War and have pursued some WWII, mostly concerning Hitler.  I'm hoping this series will give me a broader perspective.

No comments: