Thursday, January 23, 2014

Guess what today is...


besides Thursday.


It’s National Handwriting Day

 

As a product of the 1950’s, I was taught Palmer Method handwriting.  Today most schools are abandoning the teaching of cursive all together.  It’s just another way of dumbing down the populace.

 

It’s been years since I taught religious ed at my church, but I still remember the shock at the inability of the 7th through 12th graders to write cursive and forget about even being able to write a complete sentence.  Punctuation?  Forget it.  These modern day geniuses couldn’t even print very well.  

 

Sadly, since I type so much, my handwriting is not as good as it once was (but still pretty dang nice.)

 

  Palmer Method Example:

 My handwriting from my appointment/planning book of several years ago:

Psychology Today:  What Learning Cursive Does for Your Brain
New American Cursive:  Top Ten Reasons to Learn Cursive 
Dr. David Sortino:   Brain research and cursive writing

See Also:

Campaign for Cursive 

 
 


 


No comments: