Medicare Fines Over Hospitals' Readmitted Patients
Just exactly who is being served by the government fining hospitals as much as 125K, or more, for doing their job? Do they really think that the reason people are sometimes readmitted to hospitals within 30 days of discharge is because of the ineptitude of doctors or, good heavens, to make more money? Check out the rate of Medicare reimbursements to instantly disabuse yourself of that notion.As of Monday, Medicare will start fining hospitals that have too many patients readmitted within 30 days of discharge due to complications. The penalties are part of a broader push under President Barack Obama's health care law to improve quality while also trying to save taxpayers money. read the rest
Here are the
- In order to avoid fines, sick patients will not be admitted to a hospital.
- Hospitals will start to refuse to see Medicare patients.
- Even more doctors will not accept Medicare.
- Sick patients will be shuttled off to secondary care sites even though they may need to be in a hospital
- Teaching hospitals will be hardest hit which will slow down innovation and research.
- Poor people will be allowed to die.
- The hospital being fined will have to spread the cost so all health care costs will rise which means your $50.00 aspirin will now cost $60.00 and your insurance rates will rise like yeast on a hot day.
Obama's new Medicare rules will kill patients but they sure do sound great!
Will Obamacare Play Games With Your Actual Life?