Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Government Drives Up Cost of Health Care!!

I've said it before but it bears repeating - again and again. It is the government interference that has driven up the cost of health insurance and health care.

Once again an article in American Thinker explains in detail what I have been harping on for months. Here are the remedies the authors have laid out, which are exactly what I have been saying all along.

The solutions to most of our problems, no matter what they are, is usually pretty simple.

  • Begin with individual ownership of insurance policies.
  • Leverage Health Savings Accounts (HSAs).
  • Allow interstate purchasing of insurance.
  • Eliminate mandated benefits that insurers are required to cover.
  • Reallocate the majority of Medicaid spending into simple vouchers for low-income individuals to purchase their own insurance.
  • Eliminate unnecessary scope-of-practice laws and allow non-physician health care professionals to practice to the extent of their education and training.
  • Reform tort liability laws.

Understanding the Cause of Health Care Inflation
by Andrew Foy and Brenton Stransky

Health care inflation is a topic that lends itself to considerable demagoguery and "straw men arguments" from the left, where it is often attributed to capitalism and the free market. Their solution: more regulation and the creation of a massive new government entitlement program to provide every American with "comprehensive" health insurance. Unfortunately, this solution will only exacerbate health care inflation as it completely ignores the major causes of the problem -- rising government health care expenditures and increased regulation. read the rest


More good reads: Obama's Corruption

2 comments:

Anne Rettenberg LCSW said...

Facts and information:
http://prescriptions.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/15/health-care-abroad-questions-for-tr-reid/

Mary Ellen said...

We are going to be in a world of hurt with Obama's health care plan. Not only are we going to be dealing with the rising cost of private health care, but Medicare will take a hit.

Just a quick story...I brought my mom in for some lab work that she needs to get every two weeks (to control the blood thinning medication she takes). When I brought her in last week, we went to the desk to get the paper work completed before walking into the lab. The tech began asking her questions that I've never heard before. My mom has Medicare and Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance. She was asked if she was on any other government health insurance besides Medicare, was she receiving any Veteran benefits from the government, and she was asked how long she had the Blue Cross policy.

My mom, who is in her mid eighties has trouble understanding many simple questions due to a stroke she had in the past which left her with some neurological damage...along with total hearing loss in one ear. It's hard to tell sometimes if can't hear the question or just can't understand it, so I often have to answer for her.

I told the tech that she was not on any other insurance, never received Veteran health insurance or benefits, and she has had her private policy from the time my dad was alive and working for Cook County in Illinois. My dad told her NEVER to get rid of that policy.

I then asked why these new questions had come up, I had never heard them before. The tech said that it was a new policy that they had to follow which the government has implemented. I then bluntly asked if the reason was to keep benefits from some of those receiving Medicare and she said, "Yes, I believe so." She also said the nurses and doctors in the hospital are totally against the Obama health care plan and fear that the Senior citizens will be the one's who take the most cuts.

The thing is, if I were not there with my mom she would have answered wrong because I saw her shaking her head yes, but I know she was confused. They would not have known that. Many senior citizens get confused easily and when they don't know an answer they just say "yes". If they are told to sign on a dotted line, even if they don't know what they are signing, they do it because they think they have to do whatever the "government" tells them to do or they will lose their insurance.

Sorry for the long comment...this subject just infuriates me.