Sunday, November 16, 2008


*
St. Ambrose
*
****One of my favorite prayers to say before Mass is the Prayer of St. Ambrose. I don't believe it was by accident that Angela Messenger assigned this poor man to be my special patron for the year. As I said before, St. Ambrose was last seen crying, wailing, and asking God what he had done to deserve such an assignment (even saints have their theologically imperfect moments). Why not you, Ambrose? It's a dirty job but someone has to do it!

***One of the great losses we as a church suffered after Vatican II, was that of our personal missals. When we were children, it was a proud moment when we received our first "grown up" missal, and we set about immediately filling it with lovely holy cards. Not only was it a cool thing to take with us to Mass, but it contained many beautiful prayers. We were able to access the Stations of the Cross, the Rosary, and prayers for many different occasions.

***We were exhorted by our parents and the sisters (if you were lucky enough to attend a Catholic school), to follow along in our missals, thereby enabling us to have a fuller understanding of liturgical theology. We understood, without being able to express it adequately, due to our young years; "Say the Black, Do the Red".

****Now we have those ugly little missalettes printed on cheap paper (if, indeed your parish even has that much), with the barest minimum of additional prayers. Like the discordant music we have become accustomed to, almost none of these prayers speak to the possibility that we may be sinners in need of help.

****Personal missals are still available, but when was the last time you actually saw someone with their very own missal? I was lucky enough to snag one at a thrift store for $2.00, and of course, I still have my pre-Vatican II missals - all of which, I might add, are stuffed full of beautiful holy cards.

****The prayer of St. Ambrose was, and is, a favorite of mine to say before Mass. It was prominent in my pre-Vatican II missal. I have highlighted words I find to be important. You may find completely different words which speak to you in a special way. Copy the prayer, keep it with you, and take time to recite it before Mass. I think you may find it helpful.

Prayer of St. Ambrose
(Before Mass)

Lord Jesus Christ,
I approach your banquet table in fear and trembling,
for I am a sinner,
and dare not rely on my own worth,
but only on your goodness and mercy.
I am defiled by many sins in body and soul,
and by my unguarded thoughts and words.

Gracious God of majesty and awe,
I seek your protection,
I look for your healing.
Poor troubled sinner that I am,
I appeal to you, the fountain of all mercy.
I cannot bear your judgment,
but I trust in your salvation.

Lord, I show my wounds to you and uncover my shame before you.
I know my sins are many and great,
and they fill me with fear,
but I hope in your mercies,
for they cannot be numbered.

Lord Jesus Christ, eternal king, God and man,
crucified for mankind,
look upon me with mercy and hear my prayer,
for I trust in you.
Have mercy on me,
full of sorrow and sin,
for the depth of your compassion never ends.

Praise to you, saving sacrifice,
offered on the wood of the cross for me and for all mankind.
Praise to the noble and precious blood,
flowing from the wounds of the my crucified Lord Jesus Christ and washing away
the sins of the whole world.
Remember, Lord your creature,
whom you have redeemed with your blood;
I repent my sins,
and I long to put right what I have done.

Merciful Father, take away all my offenses and sins;
purify me in body and soul, and make me worthy to taste the holy of holies.
May your body and blood,
which I intend to receive, although I am unworthy,
be for me the remission of my sins,
the washing away of my guilt,the end of my evil thoughts,
and the rebirth of my better instincts.
May it incite me to do the works pleasing to you and profitable to my health in body and soul,
and be a firm defense against the wiles of my enemies. Amen.

Picture: St Ambrose Converting Theodosius, Pierre Subleyras 1745, Oil on canvas, Galleria Nazionale, Perugia

The deadline for saint assignments is December 1st. Head over and request one from Angela
*
*

7 comments:

Terry Nelson said...

You have changed your format - I like it.

Mark D. said...

Good prayer by St. Ambrose -- thanks for sharing. A great saint, no question. Just look at this impact on the broader Church -- not just in his own work, but in the work of those who were taught by him. St. Augustine comes to mind in particular...

Cathy_of_Alex said...

I'm blessed in that my dear friend, Ray from MN, gifted me on my Confirmation day with an old St. Andrew Daily Missal that belonged to, yes, a woman named Cathy! It still has all her prayer cards in it. I've added my own to it. It's like a book of 3 lives: Christ, Cathy and Cathy.

belinda said...

You were blessed beyond measure to have received a "Catholic education".
You have so many wonderful ,and meaningful experiences to treasure forever.

As a convert I don't think that I will ever catch up, and I sure missed out.

Rachel said...

Woohoo, another convert! One thing we converts get is the joy of discovering as an adult the radical truth of Catholicism... being confirmed at 28 was so amazing and meaningful to me, and my new Catholic friends even acknowledged that they envied me. When they were confirmed as teenagers they sort of took it for granted and only later came to appreciate what they'd grown up with.

Adrienne, I LOVE St. Ambrose's prayer. I remember when I was still in RCIA, I began to read it (in a different translation) for the first time, thought it was perfect, and decided I'd memorize it and say it before every Communion. But then I stumbled on this phrase: "I am grieved because I have sinned; I desire to make amends for what I have done." I realized I didn't particularly want to make amends if it was going to give me any trouble, and that's when I realized that all my fine feelings about the rest of prayer weren't very solidly grounded! But God in His mercy uses that prayer and many other things to work on me. :)

Melody K said...

Beautiful, I'll copy it.
Do you have this prayer, also by St. Ambrose?
"Lord God, we can hope for others nothing better than the happiness we desire for ourselves. Therefore, I pray you, do not separate me after death from those I have tenderly loved on earth. Grant that where I am they may be with me, and that I may enjoy their presence in heaven after being so often deprived of it on earth. Lord God, I ask you to receive your beloved children immediately into your life-giving heart. After this brief life on earth, give them eternal happiness."

Adrienne said...

Melody - I don't have that one. Thanks- I shall print it out and put it in my missal ....