Friday, January 23, 2015

National Handwriting Day

is today.

January 23rd has been designated National Handwriting Day by the Writing Instrument Manufacturers Association (WIMA)

I'm very fussy about my pens and penmanship. Since spending so much time on a computer, I've noticed a decline in my ability to think while writing by hand.  I tend to get lost in the middle of sentences, or even words, so it messes up my penmanship.  Not acceptable.

To counter the problem, I've started to type my letters in Word, print them out, and copy by hand so I can concentrate on my penmanship.

Spelling?  My spelling has become so atrocious since spell-check entered my life that I'm truly ashamed. We won't get into commas here.  I'm sure my mother was stalked and terrorized by a comma when she was pregnant with moi.


To make matters worse, it seems schools will no longer teach cursive to students.  Really?  Aren't they dumb enough yet?   The elites think "keyboarding" is more important.  We used to call that typing class.

I was taught Palmer Method handwriting.  I still think it's one of the most lovely for everyday writing.

More: 

Psychology Today:  What Learning Cursive Does for Your Brain
 
New American Cursive:  Top Ten Reasons to Learn Cursive 


Dr. David Sortino:   Brain research and cursive writing


Reuters:  Campaign for Cursive Gathers Momentum with National Handwriting Day



Jake Weidmann's website

His work is outstanding!!

No comments: