Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Minimum Wage: Perfect example of how a leftie thinks - "I'll do a good job if I think you're paying me enough"...

otherwise I'll be a slovenly employee with a bad attitude and dare you to do something about it.

From: The Daily Caller:

emphasis mine
... Good studies show that a wage increase to $10.10 an hour, up from $7.25, would have no impact on employment, said Jason Furman, the chairman of the president’s Council of Economic Advisors.
“Zero [job losses] is a perfectly reasonable estimate,” Furman said Feb. 18.

Instead, the wage increase will improve workers’ diligence and productivity, he said, adding that “the [CBO] report very much does make the case for a policy that benefits more than 16.5 million workers.”
What a load of crap.

When an employee accepts a job it behooves him/her to do the best job possible, regardless of the pay.  You agreed to work for a certain amount of money. You can't decide after taking the job that you'll only work a certain amount because suddenly you don't like the pay.  I've had some pretty crappy low-wage jobs and it didn't stop me from doing my very best.  When that was no longer possible, I left and got a new job that was more to my liking.

But the message from Mr Furman is that by increasing the minimum wage, somehow these lazy bad attitude employees will magically transform into an employer's dream employee.  No they won't.

A decent person will always have pride in the job they do, and it is never tied to pay.  It is in their nature.  You will never hear them say, "It's not my job" or "They don't pay me enough to do that."

This morning I read this at Randy's Roundtable:

emphasis mine
“Overall the logic for the finding that raising the minimum wage does not result in large adverse impacts on employment is that paying workers a better wage can improve productivity and thereby reduce unit labor costs.  source
I've been working since I was 15 years old. I'm now 68 and still working, and one observation I have witnessed without fail is that a poor employee is a poor employee no matter how much you pay them.

More:

Reaganite Republican:  Obama's Solution for Obscene 42+% Black Teenage Unemployment Rate? Price Them Completely Out-of-the-Market w/$10 Min Wage!





No comments: