Thursday, April 25, 2013

Rhetoric...

and why it's important.

May I recommend this series from The Art of Manliness?

It's been a gazillion years since I attended college.  A refresher course in the basics is always good for our brains.

Have I ever mentioned that I keep a big fat notebook labeled "Study Notebook"  (three subject, college ruled) in which I keep copious notes?  Oh sure, I could cut and paste pertinent information into Word and just print it out, but, trust me, it's not the same as actually writing notes in longhand.  I use a fountain pen, too.  Writing notes engages the brain in a way that cut and paste cannot accomplish.  It's as simple as that. 

Classical Rhetoric 101 Series 

An Introduction
A Brief History
The Three Means of Persuasion
The Five Canons of Rhetoric – Invention
The Five Canons of Rhetoric – Arrangement
The Five Canons of Rhetoric – Style
The Five Canons of Rhetoric – Memory
The Five Canons of Rhetoric – Delivery
Logical Fallacies
Bonus! 35 Greatest Speeches in History 




No comments: