Tuesday, May 22, 2012

People pecking at their little screens...

 while the world passes them by.

When I attended our primary election night party last Tuesday night, I was having a conversation with someone who, after receiving a text message or two, proceeded to start pecking at their little phone screen.  In what world does this constitute polite behavior?

Or how about the family out to dinner, with all members intent on staring and pecking at their screens, while completely ignoring the others at the table? I see friends out for coffee - you got it - pecking at their screens. 

I think the misuse of technology is rampant.  Notice I said "misuse" since I am obviously not adverse to technology.  I love my computer to the point where I definitely spend too much time on it.

Since I work at home, I have no need for a fancy phone and recently even ditched my antiquated flip phone in favor of a Tracfone, thereby saving me about $350.00 a year.  The new little phone does accommodate texting, but I have no desire to do so.

Twitter? The way it's being used most of the time renders it boring and silly (IMO.)  Emergencies and such?  Great!  The rest of what goes on is no more than being able to sound really stupid in 140 characters or less.  Again - just my opinion.

The number of people who disagree with me are legion. There are, however, plenty of others who do agree with me.  

Here's an interview with Dr. Larry D. Rosen about his book on tech addictions, including how to recognize them, and how to lessen any unhealthy dependency that we may have on technology here






And then there's the classic by Jane M. Healy, Ph.D., that examines how television, video games, and other components of popular culture compromise our children's ability to concentrate and to absorb and analyze information. Drawing on neuropsychological research, and on an analysis of current educational practices, Healy presents in clear, understandable language:
-- How growing brains are physically shaped by experience.
-- Why television programs -- even supposedly educational shows like Sesame Street -- develop "habits of mind" that place children at a disadvantage in school.
-- Why increasing numbers of children are diagnosed with attention deficit disorder.
-- How parents and teachers can make a critical difference by making children good learners from the day they are born.




More: 

  The Time-Wasting Network

Facebook's 'dark side': study finds link to socially aggressive narcissism

 Take a Guess — How Many Texts Does the Average Teen Send Each Day?

 

No comments: