Monday, November 7, 2011

Apples, apples, apples...

can you say pies?

Last winter I slogged around in the snow and pruned my four apple trees to almost nothing.  This year I carefully thinned the apples.  Look what happened:

You can click to embiggem  - in which case you will see some leaf roller damage.  After my apples reach a certain size I won't spray anymore.  The best I can do is wash with soap and water and pick the little critters off by hand (Ugh!)

Fuji Apple Tree:



Granny Smith: 


Beautiful:




Gala Apple Tree.  There's another Gala all loaded down in addition to this one. 



First picking.   I'll make about four pies to freeze.  The rest I'll peel, sugar and flour them, and freeze them in bags.  Each bag will make one pie.  The rest will go to our local food bank.

No comments: