Thursday, June 9, 2011

Minimalism for the "little people"...

is a choice not a requirement.  

Not according to NYT Columnist Tom Friedman.

The concept of minimalism is gaining ground as a voluntary way to improve lives.  Owning less is said to bring peace and tranquility and a boat load of money if you were on the forefront of the minimalist blogging wave.

While there is nothing wrong with the concept of minimalism (I'm in the throes of a major "editing" of my personal possessions), some of the minimalists tout the concept of "saving the planet" by getting rid of your excess of socks and undies.  Whatever...

Then we have the elitists like Tom Friedman who live on a grandiose estate suggesting:
We will realize, he predicts, that the consumer-driven growth model is broken and we have to move to a more happiness-driven growth model, based on people working less and owning less.
Really, Tom?

Here's how Tom is moving to a more "happiness-driven model."   According to the July 2006 Washingtonian magazine he lives in "a palatial 11,400-square-foot house, now valued at $9.3 million, on a 7.5-acre parcel just blocks from I-495 and Bethesda Country Club."



Read the whole article at Newsbuster:

Privileged NYT Columnist Tom Friedman Calls for People to Work Less, Own Less in Name of Planet


9 comments:

Mark D. said...

Ah, the hypocrisy of the modern Left! Orwell pointed it out so well in Animal Farm -- "some animals are more equal than others."

That said, there is much to approve in the idea of being less driven by possessions. My great consumer idolatry has been books -- I had a large personal library of books, most of which I had never read more than once. The last year I have deliberately begun to "cull" my books, getting rid of the ones that I can legitimately live without. The internet helps, of course, since the vast majority of the stuff that I like to read is available online.

I have also discovered -- much to my delight -- our local library. I check out books and movies now rather than purchasing. Cheaper, less clutter in the house, and I find that I am happier overall. The "thrill" of buying has been replaced with a better thrill -- the thrill of going to the library on a Saturday afternoon to walk through the stacks.

Cheers!

Randy-g said...

Ah, us poor little folks...The thing is Adrienne, he is really that far removed from reality.

Subvet said...

"a palatial 11,400-square-foot house, now valued at $9.3 million, on a 7.5-acre parcel just blocks from I-495 and Bethesda Country Club."

Just a humble little place he can call "home".

Adrienne said...

I used to be a book hound until even the paperbacks became so expensive.

I've always loved the library since my Mom dragged us when we just barely walking.

The Post Falls library is excellent. They get in
ALL the new books, and if perchance they don't tell them what you want and they'll buy it for you.

They will also search the entire country for a book. I wanted to read a certain book on Wilson that I couldn't find. It took them two days but they found it at some small college in Ohio and borrowed it for me. Cool!

Adrienne said...

Randy - it made me sit back and say WTF when I read that...

Adrienne said...

Sub - honestly - if I won a gazillion dollars in the lottery tomorrow, I would NOT want an 11K square foot home.

Anonymous said...

The elites and the serfs. He obviously sees himsellf as an elite. Being an elite is a good gig because they get to order the rest of us to be happy with our crumbs or else. Me, I'll take the or else. I'll be waiting for you, Tom.

ignorant redneck said...

DioShit, one each, Goldplated.

Woodsterman (Odie) said...

Oh poor Tom ... how he must struggle.