Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Stacy McCain rides a big wave...

and lands on his feet.

Sometimes we have to break our own rules and one of my biggest rules is to not engage in "blog wars."   This morning Mr G Guy (and I thank him) alerted me to an essay Stacy had written in answer to a perceived slight from Little Miss Attila about the term feminism:

Re-Reading Susan Brownmiller
Confronting the Radical Facts of Feminism


As I said to Mr G in his combox,  "I find “blogger flame wars” to be childish, boring, and a complete waste of time – except for the fact it always brings out the best in Stacy."  I said a bunch of other stuff that Stacy may (or may not) find flattering.


There has never been a doubt in my mind Stacy is one of the best journalists and writers in the blogoshpere and is possessed of a formidable intelligence.  When someone "tweaks" him, though - he goes into overdrive and pulls out every ten dollar word on the approved list of  "Very Important Words", weaves magical sentences with commas appropriately appointed in all their squiggly goodness that is guaranteed to dazzle those of us who struggle with punctuation. 

In the meantime, Attila has gone on the defensive and penned her own screed,  with not nearly the same amount of ten dollar words, but managing, nevertheless, to get her point across quite well.  
This morning DaTechGuy jumped on the bandwagon by trying to make peace while not taking any sides (is there really a side to be taken?) because he likes both Stacy and Attila. 

What's the point of this post?  None really, other than you should take the time to read Stacy's essay on feminism, which for the most part I agree with, and the fact that blog wars probably juice up the ol' hit counter while still being childish, boring, and a complete waste of time.   

8 comments:

Maggie@MaggiesNotebook said...

Nice way to "report" this squabble that surely has both sitemeters cranking.

Zilla said...

I look forward to seeing you in Stacy's "blogs that link shamelessly to us" box. Well done, Adrienne. :)

Anonymous said...

I have to disagree with you on one point Adrienne and that is, When RSM writes, it's never boring. ;)

Mike

Anonymous said...

And lest I forget, thanks for the mention in your article.

Mike

Adrienne said...

Mike - Well - I'll have to agree this has been a rather fun bloggy war.

Adrienne said...

Maggie - you bethca - those numbers are going up and up...

Adrienne said...

Zilla - when Smitty was still here I lived in the box. The new guy (who I'm sure is a very nice fellow) never picks up on my links and I'm too lazy to let him know. It all works out in the end...

Bob Belvedere said...

Well said, Adrienne.

One quibble: I think these so-called 'flame wars' can be a good thing if the people involved are of the caliber of Joy and Stacy.