Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Calling me a giraffe...

doesn't make my neck long.


And thinking the Westboro Baptist Church is Christian doesn't make it so.



Court’s ruling in funeral protest case restates First Amendment principles

As reprehensible as most people find the behavior of this "church" which travels around to protest at funerals of service men, there really could not have been any other way for the court to rule.  I'm surprised that the family of a slain marine even bothered to sue.


Key factors in the case were:
  • The protests were on public property and concerned public issues
  • The protest was peaceful
  • The protesters followed the rules  
The First Amendment protects everyone...


What is interesting is the comments at Fox News in  Westboro Funeral Pickets Are Protected Speech, High Court Rules

It quickly turned into a Christian bashing hootenanny...how odd.


9 comments:

Randy-g said...

The court got it right, even the despicable are protected.

Amusing Bunni said...

This is a horrible group. They are evil and vile, and don't reflect on good Christians. Still It's good the court ruled this way, and protected free speech.

I love the giraffe, he's a cute little guy.

Adrienne said...

Randy - so true. The other thing is all the attention paid to those loons. People need to just ignore them.

Adrienne said...

Bunni - I knew you'd love that little newborn giraffe...

Conservative Pup said...

As distasteful and repugnant as they are, they absolutely have the same First Amendment protection that I, or any other American, does. I'm glad the court ruled the way it did, to do otherwise would have been extremely dangerous for all of us.

I so agree with you Adrienne, the only real way to 'fight' these evil creatures is to totally ignore them. The media won't ever do that, though. I think the media wants to try to portray them as "Christians" so to paint actual Christians with that brush.

Maggie@MaggiesNotebook said...

Adrienne and Randy, I agree with you. There was no other way. I was surprised at Alito writing the dissent. It obviously went right to his heart. My state is trying to get a bill through that protesters must be 1,000' away, rather than 500.

Also heard Bill O'Reilly tonight say he would pay the legal fees owed to Westboro, for the family. He's back on my good list:-) I can forgive him a lot for that.

Conservative Pup said...

Maggie, thanks for sharing that about BOR. I've been working evenings and missed hearing that. Agree with you; I had been pretty off of him, but helping this family like that will cover a lot of warts with me.

MightyMom said...

you mean you can't turn me into a giraffe by calling me one??? DANG! i always wanted to be a giraffe.......

Justin said...

To "chase a rabbit" as they say, I've been concerned for some time about what I perceive as an attempt to empty the term "Christian" of any clear meaning. Not sure if this is an organic or coordinated movement, but the results are the same.

I fear that many theologically-conservative classically orthodox believers (e.g., Catholics, Protestants, Orthodox, or what have you) have spent so long fighting each other, they have perceived neither how much they actually have in common, nor how aggressive a threat they are facing in terms of defining the faith for a new generation.