Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Here we go with the "free computer for kids craziness"

Remember when there was a kerfuffle about the Merion School District in Pennsylvania spying on the kids through their laptops?  My first (and second, and third) thought was why the kids were given free laptops in the first place.  Some of the funds came from the district and the rest was "grant" money (which undoubtedly means the Feds chipped in.)

Now the school district in  Detroit has received $530 million from the feds with $49 million of it for computers - 40 thousand laptop computers, to be exact as well as 5 thousand desktops. This is nothing more than redistribution of wealth.  Take money from the citizens of the country and hand it out to whomever the elites wish to curry favor.  

So tell me again how giving "free" computers to children is going to make them smarter?  Most of these kids can't even read at grade level, if at all.  There is also ample research to indicate that prolonged computer use may actually be a detriment to learning. Think the kids need "computer skills?"  Trust me - when they get their first job the manager will teach them how to hit the key with the picture of a BigMac.

Michelle Malkin has more details - and we thank her.

More from The Blog Prof: 

Irony: Detroit Free Press touts 40,000 "free" laptops to DPS kids days after reporting DPS laptops being hocked at pawn shops



The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains   
by Nicholas Carr 

Available at Amazon:


3 comments:

Tracy said...

I'm so glad I can rely on you to keep me updated Adrienne, this was news to me!!

Blue said...

We have to "entice" the kids today to learn. If your program isn't successful, throw some money at it. Try out all the gadgets and gimmicks. Surely something will be found to work. Right?

I'd suggest going back to the old days. Hold the little brats accountable. Hold the teachers accountable. Stop with the excuses about why Jack and Jill can't read....

Abbey's Road said...

Just when I think "they" could do nothing to sicken me more than I already am ... this was the first I had heard about the spying .... I want to regurgitate eve3rytime I hear the phrase "...which we inherited ..." come from that person's mouth!

On a calmer subject, thank you for the encouragement, Adrienne.

Blessings and keep the truth coming!