Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Rev. Curran criticizes bishops. So, what else is new?

 
Would someone please tell me why this whack-job is allowed to run around (collarless) and call himself a Catholic priest? When someone is as far off base as to Catholic teaching as Mr. Curran (since he never wears a collar, the best I can do is "Mr.") he should receive a warning from his bishop to cease and desist.  If the warning is not heeded he should be restricted from teaching.     Instead he is allowed to teach and infuse young minds with nonsense.  I find it ironic that he is the Professor of Human Values at a university. 

DALLAS, Texas, October 27, 2010 (LifeSiteNews.com) - The Catholic bishop of Dallas has preemptively condemned a lecture by a dissident professor and priest who is scheduled to criticize the U.S. bishops' unequivocal stance against the killing of unborn children.

Rev. Charles E. Curran, the Elizabeth Scurlock Professor of Human Values at Southern Methodist University (SMU), is planning to deliver an on-campus lecture noon Thursday entitled “The U.S. Catholic Bishops and Abortion Legislation: A Critique from Within the Church.”

“Curran’s lecture will examine how U.S. Roman Catholic bishops have made opposition to legal abortion their primary social issue, and will challenge the bishops from a theological perspective for claiming too much certitude in their position," states an SMU press release. In the release, Curran states that, “There should be room in the Catholic Church for different positions on this issue.”  read the rest

3 comments:

Charlene said...

I am fifty-nine years old and was married for twenty-one years. We never used birth control. I had a lover before I married and we never used birth control and that man went on to have two children. If I had gotten pregnant in either situation I would not have had an abortion, though that was an option for me. In the 1970's it was not a political issue at all.

I am Catholic. Although I would not personally have an abortion, not matter what the circumstances, I would not make that decision for another. I agree with abortion being legal. It should be legal and rare.

I believe the issue is a personal one and should not be railed against or for. The people who make it their mission to harass women wanting the service and those who provide the service, should spend their time and treasure helping the poor.

Adrienne said...

Charlene - do you understand the concept of a "poorly formed conscience?"

The other thing you need to work on is reading comprehension. This is about the third time you have created a "straw man" argument aimed at something that was never said or even implied by me.

Methinks you protest too much...

Charlene said...

I have to say you do have the skill of pushing a person low. I cannot Devine whether you are angry that I comment or that you are angry I have a comment that does not adhere to your statement.

I will confess now that you obviously are a very well educated person and know more about the subject of which you write, than I ever could..

I didn't know what a straw man was until I researched it. Like many things, I accomplished making a straw man argument by luck. Now that I know what it is, I cannot promise I will never make another but I will be aware.

The essay was about a flamboyant self-defined priest in Texas who is holding a meeting on the campus of a Christian college to make his opinions known about something the American Catholic Bishops said. Your first question is how he could be able to define himself a priest? The answer is Americas can do this. Now if he is not a Catholic priest then his Bishop has no ability to silence him. The more disturbing aspect is that he evidently can draw a crowd of people to listen to him. Though, considering the mania that is afoot in the country presently, getting people to listen to crazy talk is possible.

Something indeed needs to be done about this. The Bishops are of course certain in their resolve to oppose abortion. I mean he's saying that there should be discussion about Catholic doctrine! If this keeps up someone will start thinking Catholics are Baptists!