Monday, March 29, 2010

Anti-Catholicism

Unfortunately, I read an article The Catholic Church is a Criminal Enterprise by Matt Taibbi, which really deserves nothing more than to be relegated to the trash heap of silly anti-Catholicism.  Memeorandum saw fit to highlight it on their news aggregator. Why?  I have no idea.  If you really want to waste time reading this hate-filled piece of garbage, you'll have to Google it, because I would not honor it with a link. Then I find out that the Washington Post printed a pile of anti-Catholic doggie-do by Sinead O'Connor on Palm Sunday.  I have no intention of even reading a screed written by someone such as Ms. O'Connor who has absolutely no credibility. 

I did read  a fine article in the National Review by George Weigel & Rev. Jay Scott Newman (who are credible)  entitled Spreading the Big Lie.  They ask the question, "Why did the Washington Post choose Palm Sunday to publish an ignorant and malicious piece by Sinead O’Connor on abuse in the Catholic Church?"  Why, indeed...

Here's the bottom line for me.  If you don't want to be Catholic, don't.  I don't want to be Protestant, and so I'm not.  Isn't that simple?  However, I don't feel the need to go about bashing Protestants. The truth is exactly what Bishop Fulton J. Sheen said in 1938, "There are not a hundred people in America who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions of people who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church — which is, of course, quite a different thing."
 

4 comments:

Abbey's Road said...

Did you see the latest by George Weigel? It's linked on my blog . . . I am totally with you on your "bottom line" . . . go away and leave us alone ... Weigel puts a lot of perspective on the NYT slime that is molding this sad period to suit sensationalism and sell newspapers ... hmmm, do you think that ANY of those "so-called reporters" give a THOUGHT to how they hurt so many human beings? My God will also be their judge when the time comes. As for persecution, bring it on. I'll take up my cross and walk right through you!

Whew! Thanks for letting me get that off my chest, Adrienne. Keep the fires burning. You are doing such a fantastic job for both our Mother Church, and the state of our DIS-Union.

Blessings,
Abbey

Unknown said...

Interesting, isn't it, that the secular and anti-Catholic media (same thing) pick just before Easter to bring out the news on the priest abuse of children? It's a horrible thing, true, but the timing bears noting. As if, in other professions children are not abused... How many teachers, Little League coaches, Boy Scout leaders, and the like have abused children in the past 50 years? I don't see us tallying up a count on those! Chafes my hide!!! There is no excuse whatsoever for a priest to abuse anyone, but -- contrary to public opinion -- priests are human, too, and subject to the same dark impulses as the rest of humanity. I'm sad for all of the good priests suffering because of the actions of a few.

ABNPOPPA said...

Sinead, who?

Pops

Agnes B. Bullock said...

The Washington Compost and Hell's Bible are only good for picking up after my dachsies, except I am afraid that they might catch an STD from them. If it in these rags, then it is unworthy of reading, let alone publishing in the first place.