Monday, February 22, 2010

More on those $1000.00 Computers & Obama's "healthcare" bill rolls out...

My last post on the $1000.00 computers given to the Pennsylvania high school students garnered lots of different  opinions.  One of my kitties has a vet appointment this morning for blood work and I will address the comments when I return. I will say this much: I am most in agreement with the comment made by Greasywrench:
And as...
written books becomes a quaint thing of the past.

longhand writing is a distant memory.

students quit doing math equations on a sheet of scrap paper and rely on a calculator.
Our basic skills continue to erode.

Our children rely solely on computers. I love computers. I have a simple A.S. in Computer Information Systems and consider myself a geek with advanced skills. But... the more we rely on them the more vulnerable we become.
As far as computers go, they can't recognize context when it comes to writing and most of the drivel I read on message boards these days reminds me that no one knows what a spell checker is.

My point being if you can't/don't master the basics, how in the Hell is one going to be proficient in advanced activities? We need to teach our children the basic skills of Reading, writing and arithmetic first. And a good course on critical thinking would be great. Then maybe, just maybe they can be moved along to more complex issues. Haven't we learned anything from the Asians? American's today want to start at the top and then work their way up.
Jeff Miller, Mark, Mary Ellen, and Motherhen made some good points, too.   Subvet is with me on who should be providing the laptops and Belinda's comment is going to take another reading (or three), as I could hardly process what I read and I think her concerns are valid.

While I'm gone, it would be helpful to read RightKlik's post on how Newsweek conducts polls to get the response they would like to have.  The technique is really not much different than any good salesman would use to elicit the proper response from his potential buyer.  It is one of the reasons I don't pay much attention to polls.

Hack Wilson has a very good response to a letter to the editor of his local newspaper concerning racism. 

And finally - it appears Obama has unveiled his very own health care plan.  Reading that will be top priority today.  Until then - Michelle Malkin has the links and some first thoughts available.

Here come government health care price controls; Update: Obamacare 2.0$$ unveiled

Here's the proposed bill 

4 comments:

Amusing Bunni said...

Hi Adrienne, Thanks for posting this.
I hope all goes well with your kitty at the vet today!

Abbey's Road said...

See my comment on yesterday's post first. I don't need to read this last ditch effort by King Obama ... it's broke and you cannot fix it, not in Congress, not anywhere, until GREED and FREELOADING are taken out of the equation.

Adrienne said...

Bunni - thanks for the thoughts for my kitty.

Adrienne said...

Abbey - Yes, yes, and yes!!