Monday, February 8, 2010

Modern Math

Thanks to one of my pals, Hootin' Anni for this...

Years of Math 1959 - 2009 (in the USA )

Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $ 2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters , but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried. Why do I tell you this? Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

1. Teaching Math In 1950s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit ?

2. Teaching Math In 1960s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In 1970s
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In 1980s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100.. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 1990s

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20... What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's ok. )

6. Teaching Math In 2009

Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?

Year 2010:
Who cares, just steal the lumber from your rich neighbor's Property, he won't have a gun to stop you, and the President says its OK anyway cuz its redistributing the wealth, to hell with the friggin math.

20 comments:

Old Bob said...

Sometimes I just looooove savage satire. Thank you, Adrienne!

Joe of St. Thérèse said...

LOL! Too Funny, unfortunately it's true! Not in my classes though ;)

Dawn said...

Very Very funny! I love it.

Larry Denninger said...

Thanks for the morning laugh, Duchess!

Smiley said...

it actually got better in 6 to awnser it correctly the child would have to learn a forieng language and do the math. but then it went down hil;l the next year.

Mary Ellen said...

After helping my 10 year old granddaughter with her Math homework...those examples are not far off. Honestly, it's scary!

(I laughed out loud when I saw the Math problem written in Spanish) :-D

Stephen M. Tefft said...

I had the same thing happen to me in a BK a couple of years back... only I had the counter girl actually yell at me for trying to help. That's what brought the manager over...

Lori said...

I had the same thing happen at an amusement park, trying to buy pretzels...the girl wouldn't believe me when I tried to help her with the answer, and got out a calculator.

kat said...

All I have to say is that everyone of those cashiers went to public (taxpayer funded) schools. My kids are homeschooled and use Saxon Math. The 11 year od can figure out word problems that I can't and I passed college Calc!

Adrienne said...

Kat - I had to teach Saxon Math at the 4th grade level and found it almost incomprehensible. I understand the method, but I just didn't "get it." To be fair math is not my best subject.

Adrienne said...

Bob and LarryD - glad I could bring a smile to your face...

Adrienne said...

Stephen - if they have already punched in the amount of money I've given them, I never, ever hand them any pennies, or whatnot. Just too painful!

There's a reason the Micky D's registers have pictures...

Adrienne said...

Mary Ellen - The reason I chose 4th grade to teach was it was about the last year I felt confident teaching math. Not my best subject (except for algebra - which I loved) Go figure...

Adrienne said...

Lori - Arrrrrgh!!

Anonymous said...

Not all those folks at the cash register are public school kids...I worked at a BK for 5 years in high school and early college and cash was my favorite position. I remember Saxon math from Catholic grade school. I'm not yet a teacher, nor yet a parent, but my general criticism on math education in the US is that it is taught as if it must be difficult--I think kids get scared away from math.

Homestay Mama said...

I've had this happen to me also! The older clerks have no trouble with a transaction like this, but the young ones have no clue what to do! So sad!

Matholic said...

As someone who took recently took AP Calc in high school, I have to stress that not all math education is like this!

Anonymous said...

I had the experience of being in a shop and wanting to just pay cash the old fashioned way.
The young lady said 'how would you like to pay?',
and I answered 'cash'. I did not see the reaction coming..she looked straight into my eyes and froze, literally. She didn't come to until the elderly shop-owner passed behind her and said quietly, 'we still take cash'.

Madison Catholic said...

Loved your joke!
Seeing you are interested in Catholic teaching, wanted to ask you if you had seen www.RosaryForTheBishop.org.
Sorry to use the comments, but could not find "contact me" anyhwere.
God bless!

Reaganite Independent said...

LOL, that is great Adrienne-

2-funny