Monday, February 8, 2010

Adults with ADD - Unite!

This morning I read an interesting review of a book over at the von Mises Institute.  The book, A whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future by Daniel Pink made me sit up and take notice. 

To quote the article:
In his bestselling book, A whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future,  Pink argues that the future belongs to those who can recognize patterns, empathize with others, be creative, and provide meaning to peoples' lives.

The left hemisphere of our brains handles the logical, sequential, and analytical heavy lifting, while the right hemisphere is our intuitive, holistic, and nonlinear side. The job market has put a premium on left-brain work and, to the extent that education trains workers, it focuses on left-brain thinking. Pink contends that technology, globalization, and material abundance are now sending simple paper-pushing white-collar professions the way of the buggy whip.
Now I'm sure you're wondering what ADD (I prefer ADD to ADHD) has to do with this book.  Since I am an adult blessed with ADD, I recognized an almost perfect description of this "condition."

People with ADD operate the majority of the time from their right brain.  Growing up and being educated at a time when little was known about this was a bit dicey, but I survived and in many areas, actually flourished.  In my early years I heard the litany of, "if she'd just buckle down and work" or, "she's so smart, if only she would focus"  blah, blah, blah.

Well, guess what?  I may not have been able to memorize my multiplication tables, but I could always see the patterns in math.  The world just wasn't ready to recognize this fact.  And while the left brain folks are having a meeting, forming a steering committee, or nitpicking a subject to death, the ADD'ers are asking, "what's the simplest and best way to get something done" - and then they're doing it.
Those who can tell or write stories will thrive, according to Pink. With all the world's facts and figures a click away at virtually no cost, the storyteller's ability to provide "context enriched by emotion" is what will be prized. Success in the "Conceptual Age" will mean understanding the connections between diverse disciplines — what the author refers to as "symphony ."

One of the important elements of symphony is the use of metaphor or "imaginative rationality" to see relationships, communicate ideas, and understand others.
Once I tried medication for my ADD.  It helped, but as I liked living with a symphony in my head, I quickly stopped the meds.  I learned to sort out the notes (most days),  and tend to enjoy the "shiny object syndrome."

6 comments:

Old Bob said...

Hi, Adrienne, I was told by a neurologist about ten years ago that I have ADD and OCD at the same time, and am equally right- and left-brained (go figure). My mind flits about like a hummingbird, but once it lands on an idea it sucks it dry -- or until I fall asleep (grin). I had meningitis in April-May 1944 and some of the aftereffects are just starting to show up. Thank heaven I don't have to put up with them very much longer (also grin). Best wishes to you!

Adrienne said...

Bob - ADD and OCD very often show up together, as well as addictive behavior such as alcoholism.

One of the best things about ADD is exactly what you describe as "landing on idea and sucking it dry." It's called hyper-focus and we excel in that area.

There is no "one size fits all" for ADD. That's why it confuses folks.

However, reading your statistic posts leaves me saying, "huh?"

Austringer said...

Adrienne, I understood that the whole "right brain, left brain" thing was not scientific at all -- that is was speculative psychology. I'll havr to look into that again...

By the way, how has your winter been, snow-wise?

Adrienne said...

Austie - NO snow...loving it!!

4 Weeks to an Organized Life with AD/HD by Jeffrey Freed, M.A.T and Joan Shapiro, MD has some of the latest research. For the skeptics, brain scans have proved otherwise.

And, of course, Dr. Hollowell is one of the leaders in the field.

Charlotte said...

Adrienne,
I've been ADD my whole life - diagnosed when I was 3 and on ritalin when I was 3 - which was very unusual for a GIRL in 1972. Back then all the literature said hyperactivity was boys only.

I've been on and off ADD meds my whole life. Currently, I've been off for the last 5 years. While I am writing in prolific amounts on my blog, everything else is a mess. I sooo crave being on Adderall, but I have some personal reasons for wanting to stay off for the time being.

If I had NO responsibility in my life (i.e. no child), I would probably be content staying off meds. But since I have a kid (or if I had a job), I could not function without them.

But yes, I TOTALLY understand the "landing on an idea and sucking it dry." Even on meds, that still happened, and it was quite helpful in college and while employed. In fact, I think my former employer kept me because of that one quality.

ADD is a blessing and a curse. More often, though, I've looked at it as a curse. Right now in my life, being stuck home with a kid, I definitely look at it as a curse.

Unknown said...

Certainly it is a blessing and a curse. I am a musician and active in a praise and worship ministry. ADHD certainly plays a large roll in my view of the world. I definitely hyperfocus at times.

I have come to realize that there is not much in the way of ADHD and Catholicism. I have decided to start a life coach business that centers on the Catholic experience. I do not want to hijack the forum with an add so anyone can google catholic adhd and I believe i'm on page one. That's how I found you. I can't wait to read the book.