Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Say No to Compact Fluorescent

Will Poor People Get Free Light Bulbs From the Nanny State??

Just yesterday my hubby and I were discussing the upcoming ban on regular incandescent light bulbs set to hit in 2012. I understand some "designer" bulbs, like those used in chandeliers, will still be available, but you can bet the price will skyrocket.

I don't like bright light, and have dimmer switches on many of my lamps. Most of the other lamps never get over a 40 watt bulb or at most, a 60 watter.  The only place I have high wattage bulbs is in the closets (can't wear one blue and one black sock, doncha know.) Using lower wattage lights and dimmer switches uses less electricity than replacing all fixtures with ugly, compact fluorescents, which I absolutely refuse to use. Not to mention cfl's cost TEN times more and in many cases don't last more than a few months!


I have been looking around for information on storing light bulbs. Today on "Big Government", a post entitled ReasonTV: Light Bulbs v. The Nanny State (that deserves a read), a commenter seemed to be pretty knowledgeable about the subject.  I guess that means I won't have to bother The BlogProf with my question about the storage of light bulbs. I figure if anyone had an answer, he would.
Jules commented:
Already got about a fifty year supply of long-life incandescents set aside. If you buy the long-life bulbs, it's not that many, so storage is only a couple of large boxes. Bulbs don't go bad or expire. Plus, buying them now, before the inevitable price run up as the dollar collapses, should net at least four times the bang for the buck.

 Thanks, Jules!

Elizabeth: Check out this post and accompanying picture to help clarify some of my "innuendos".  And isn't what you said to me an innuendo??

The Blog Prof:  Astroturf FAIL! Obama minions hand out lab coats to liberal doctors for photo op

I'm off to get my hair cut and run some errands. Once again my Google Reader has climbed to over 1000, and over at Adrienne dePitera I've signed onto a Ten Tasks in Ten Days Challenge. What was I thinking?? 


No more playing nice while I'm gone. Be as down and dirty as you wish!

5 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

I saw the lab coat handout pic on another blog this morning. Sheesh...is there anything genuine about Obama? Everything is staged, just a facade, just like him.

Old Bob said...

Hi, Adrienne,
One of the advantages of incandescent bulbs is that about 90% of the electrical energy goes to heat. In Minnesota in winter this is an advantage. Besides, the light is "warmer" than a compact fluorescent, and I like that better. I don't like "cold" light. Also the Wise Sages who advise The Great One have forgotten that CF bulbs contain mercury, which makes them "hazmat." Idiots!

Joe of St. Thérèse said...

count me in on not buying the Hg coated squiggly light bulbs

MightyMom said...

oh I soooooo need to get with hubby on stock piling bulbs....and he's a firm believer in 40 watters. I like brighter light myself...and he has agreed to let me use bright lights in certain areas...like my sewing lamp....but oooooweeee are we against the squiggleys...they always make me want a dipped cone from the DQ.

(you lived here long enough I'm assumeing you know of what I speeeeek)

Anonymous said...

I tell you, I can't read at night by the light of the spiral bulbs. I don't know what it is, but I just can't see!

My mom has been hoarding all the regular bulbs she can. Must be why I can't find any at the store.