Tuesday, July 7, 2009


The Smart Car

This is what Obama wants us all driving....

I saw my first Smart Car yesterday while visiting our new Italian market that just opened in Post Falls.

They bought a Smart Car and have it all decked out with signage from their new market and deli and I will have to admit it has a certain cuteness due to its impossibly small size.

However................I can't see anyone actually considering this as an rational alternative to a full size vehicle, nor can I envision it actually saving gasoline.

I've always been careful about grouping my errands, not to save gas, but to save time. This car holds two people and probably about the equivalent of 4 bags of groceries. Forget about putting the the large toilet paper cube from Costco anywhere in this vehicle unless you travel alone and put the passenger seat down. How about a stop at the local nursery to buy plants or even a small tree? Nope, that won't fly.

Have a child? That would be a no go. Going out to dinner with your friends? No again. So what do you use this duded up golf cart for? Beats me. Maybe to and from work but then forget about making quick stops on the way home to buy anything of any size. The unintended consequence will be more trips or taking more than one vehicle therefore negating any gas savings.

I checked crash tests and they actually were fairly good, however I didn't see it pitted against an SUV or one of our local Idaho ginormous pick-ups. I'm not planning on running it into a brick wall and the likelihood of a pick-up ramming me is much higher. So why would anyone want to spend up to 20K for a car that ultimately doesn't save any gas and causes major inconvenience?

10 comments:

Packrat said...

Hah! Thank you! I almost *didn't* see one of these the other day.

I have often thought that an electric golf cart would be good for running around a very small town - like when I only need milk and eggs at the store just down the hill from us.

Jennifer said...

If you remove the front passenger seat you can deliver coffee and pizza. Other than that, its probably good for running over bugs and small mammals.

By the way, patiently waiting for your disecction of B-16's latest encyclical.

Joe of St. Thérèse said...

cuz we need to reduse our carbon footprint lol

MightyMom said...

bwahahah my 6'3 hubby would fill it up!!

not to mention THREE carseats, a XL diaper bag, 3 school bags, 3 lunch bags, water bottles, extra blankets, pile of books, asst toys, jack, spare tire...and...what am I forgetting??? oh yeah...ME!!

give me a freakin break!!

Anonymous said...

You know, these little cars don't get any better gas mileage than my Pontaic Vibe (30+ in town), there's no room, I'd never take it on a trip via the interstate, and where exactly are my kids supposed to sit? I certainly wouldn't give this type of car to my teenaged sons when they begin driving!

All that being said, I love these little cars. They are so cute. I always say "I want to give them a hug"! I fell in love with them in the Pink Panther movie w/Steve Martin!!! :) Why are the cute things always impratical?

Fr. Erik Richtsteig said...

I refuse to drive anything that looks like the plastic 'car' pre-schoolers drive.

Mark D. said...

We won't be driving Smart cars. The government doesn't own the company. We'll all be driving Fiat 500s and Chevy Aveos.

Adrienne said...

Packie - I just told my hubby this afternoon about your comment. Velly funny!

Jennifer - running over bugs and small mammals? Dang girl - you are funny

Mother - I agree they are cute...sort of remind me of my first little Honda hatchback a gazillion years ago

Joe - I can see you in a bright yellow Smart Car

Father Richtsteig - I knew that car reminded me of something. You hit it perfectly! I gave my nephew a big plastic car when he was little and it did look like a Smart Car.

Mark - good point!!

Larry Denninger said...

Do the floorboards pop out easily so that you can maneuver it a la Fred Flintstone?

Proof I'm training the Sons of LarryD well - when we're driving around and we spot one of these, they say "Look Dad - a Dumb car!"

Joe of St. Thérèse said...

No, no, not yellow, green, i want the color to totally help the environment....