Friday, April 24, 2009

Banks Want More


Fed (that would actually be you and me since it is our money, after all) says they are ready to save stress tested banks.....

*****Several days ago I stopped in to my local WAMU branch to activate my debit card. In case you didn't know, WAMU is now Chase. The entire interior was gutted and they were busy with a major remodeling.

Wow, what's going on?", says I to the nubile and not very bright little gal behind the brand spanking new counter. "This was a great looking place and it was practically brand new."

*****"Oh, I think Chase wants all the banks and branches to look alike", she says with a lovely smile on her face.

*****"But didn't we just give a pack of money to bail out these banks? I'm not so sure this is a good use of their money."

*****She looked at me with some confusion as she sifted through this piece of information and her best explanation was, "but it's given jobs to a lot of nice men."

*****This is the bank that says they can only pay me .01% interest on my savings account and is asking for more tax payer bailout money but somehow still has money for major and unnecessary renovations. I highly doubt if I walked into a Chase branch in California which looked differently from my Post Falls branch it would register on my radar.

13 comments:

Sarah - Kala said...

If I were to blog about this right now my Blog-Cuss-'O-Meter would be up 191%. Gosh, this really pisses me off.

Packrat said...

Banks always want more. Pay for this. Fees for that. You have to keep so much in your account. But, you made too many deposits, maybe we should charge for that. You didn't have any activity, we have to charge you. We just consolidated. Your account number is good for ___ days. We'll provide 20 new checks. Yes, after that you have to purchase new ones. Oh, ___ doesn't work here any more. Several of our employees have been laid off. Shall I go on and on? Sorry, I got carried away.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Do I care what the bank looks like? NO! I just lie reasonable service and without frills...Is this such a hard concept to grasp! WheW!!! Cathy

RightKlik said...

"they are ready to save stress tested banks....."


Of course we know they are more interested in "taking over" than "saving."

Jennifer said...

Have you considered a credit union?

Lola said...

My df is a PE, one of the biggest peeves he has is designing unneccessary remodels. He's watched the "Green" Movement put more into the landfill than anything he's ever seen before. Perfectly funcitoning desks, carpet are now in our landfil.
Just so the business can get a "Green" Label.


You're story is just that much sweeter. We gave them money to stay solvent, and BAM!

Look on the bright side in the end the Gov will probably be in the banking business, if those Bank Presidents don't wise up. We know how efficient government will make Chase.

I love my simple credit union. And, in the midst of all this I'm afraid they just might be a target in the future. They have already one hand tied behind their backs. Restricitions on who can be a 'member'.

Adrienne said...

Sarah - cuss away (I confine mine to the dining room table - no minors in attendance ;-)

Adrienne said...

Packie - yep - I think you covered it all!!

Adrienne said...

GrandmaK - It's a very, very easy concept to grasp - that's why they can't. It would mean forming a committee, having endless meetings, hiring an outside firm to do a study - and nothing would be decided.

Adrienne said...

RK - as usual you cut through to the heart of the matter.

Adrienne said...

Jennifer - Took a spin years ago through STCU and after that Global. Both were horrible!

Adrienne said...

Lola - help me out - what's a PE?

The things your husband sees go on all the time.

Lola said...

I was saying my DearFather is a Professional Engineer. And electrical engineer.


Imagine my disappointment at 6 when I found out he did "drawings" all day and didn't run the trains.
And not fun drawings like a cartoonist. Mechanical drawings...

My dh is a Chiropractor. Which just blows my mind.