Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I will be offline for Ash Wednesday and will only be posting three times per week during Lent. Please, please - no gnashing of teeth and renting of clothes - you'll survive, but I doubt I will. Can you say addicted??

Tomorrow I will be starting my Ignatian retreat. All my old notebooks and prayer journal are out and ready to go. I have new pens (in different colors), new stickers (I use stickers just like a little kid), and several good spiritual books to read. All my books and supplies are crammed into a ridiculously expensive Longaberger basket (nothing but the best for Lent) and my Bible awaits me on the dining room table.

If you need to read something before beddy bye time, Tim over at Old World Swine has a wonderful post on Lent.

Father Mark at Vultis Christi has a wonderful post entitled Lent 2009:Pierce Thou My Heart, Love Crucified

Little Lenten Desert Scenes by Fr. Dwight Longenecker is well worth a read (and you really, really want to see the sweet camel picture).

My favorite Aussie priest, Fr. John Speekman has a wonderful Ash Wednesday reflection.

A People in the Wilderness
by Cathy of Alex

When I was a dissenting Catholic, I'd often hear and agree with those Catholics around me who would have difficulty with "the God of the Old Testament". The God of the Old Testament was too scary. He's not as loving as the God of the New Testament who gave us The Christ. Consequently, they felt the Old Testament had "nothing to say to them" and did not care to read from the Old Testament. They would call themselves "New Testament Catholics read more
*

Jean, over at Catholic Fire has posted her reading list and a list of recommended books. Take a peek....

The Liturgy of the Hours is available online at Universalis
, and Fr. Scott Bailey has his wonderful site called Evening Devotions.

It is impossible for a person who prays regularly to remain in serious sin; because the two are incompatible, one or the other will have to be given up

-- St. Teresa of Avila

Here are some things others are doing for Lent:

Mark in Spokane said...

I'm cutting back on posting as well -- three times a week max. (Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday, I think). It will be difficult, but necessary, I think, to keep away from getting too wrapped up in what's going on in the world instead of focusing on what's going on in terms of Lent.

MightyMom said...

you'll have to stop by my place tomorrow to find out!!

actually I'll have to stop by my place tomorrow to find out too!!!

I have plans...but then I had doubts...so I've consulted my Favorite Friar on the subject and am awaiting a response...what I decide to do will ultimately depend on his advice....

ashley said...

I plan to post on my Lenten plans on my blog tomorrow. They involve meatless Wednesday in addition to Friday and the Liturgy of the Hours. (she has a wonderful post up on her Lenten plans)

Emily/Randomability said... Okay. I've made my intentions. No playing on the Internets M-Sat. No blogging, no facebook, no forums. no news reading.
Kathleen Miller said... I will be making a retreat at a nearby Opus Dei center( haven't made one in nine years), and am still formulating my other Lenten plans.

Dan Determann - Battle Creek MI

I would hope that I wasn't the first comment to approach Lent,but, it appears I am. Surfing the net I found your blog and will tell you my plans for Lent 2009. I will be journalling and reading Thomas Merton for Lent.The journal will include a prayer a day and what I have gleaned from Brother Merton. I am working toward teaching RCIA in the fall, and becoming a Knight of Columbus. That and weekly Stations of the Cross are part of my resolve for Lent.

Good for you, Dan!!


From Deb at Ukok's Place

Many bloggers give up blogging for their Lenten penance but it has been my way for a few years now, to continue to blog throughout Lent though beginning each blogging day by posting from the Morning Office. I do hope that some of you, my dear friends, will participate in praying the morning prayer with me, which i shall post here daily, throughout Lent. I pray that you will be very much blessed by doing so. read more

5 comments:

MightyMom said...

are you going to stop READING too??

ukok said...

Thanks for the mention, my friend. I pray that you will be richly blessed this Lent. I very much look forward to reading your thrice weekly posts. I can handle less, just so long as you don't give it up completely for Lent!

God Bless you!

Tracy said...

Blessings to you this Lent Adrienne!

ashley said...

Thanks for the mention. God bless you on your retreat.
(P.S. I love stickers too.)

Therese said...

I am cutting back to one hour in the morning and one hour at night. I hope that gives me long enough to stay updated with all the blogs I follow.