Friday, February 13, 2009


Flowers
for
Valentine's Day??

*****Help those flowers stay nice with a home-made preservative that I think is way superior to those little envelopes that sometimes come with the flowers.

1 teaspoon sugar (to feed the flowers)
1 teaspoon household bleach (to keep little critters from growing in the water)
Splash of lemon juice - bottled is fine (makes the water the correct pH)
and........a few drops of liquid dish washing soap (to make it easier for the flowers to suck it all up)
1 quart lukewarm water

*****I use this solution for all my summer cut flowers such as zinnias, and now my arrangements last as long as two weeks. They used to wilt in just a few days. I don't even measure the ingredients very carefully anymore, so don't worry if you get a bit extra of one or another of the ingredients.

*****If you receive roses the stems need to be re-cut every few days. If you receive them in a box this must be done immediately. Do this under water so air bubbles don't form or at least under the running water. If some of them wilt, fill the bath tub with warm water and throw the whole flower in so it is submerged (don't forget to cut the stem while it's under water.) It should perk up again. All cut flowers that are not in a florist arrangement need to be treated in this manner.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MightyMom said...

I may try that. I told hubbyI didn't want roses for VDay. I said I'd rather get daffodils in a pot so I could plant them later. Esp since everyone else's are blooming and mine are just now starting to come up!! sniff sniff

Mark D. said...

Great suggestions. We have lots of flowers at our place, so this is good info for us to have for the Spring and Summer months.

Cheers!

Adrienne said...

Mark - What are you doing up so late??

Stephanie D said...

Mighty Mom referred me over here--because J-Man surprised me with roses for VDay. Thanks for the "recipe"--I'll have to try it!

Lynne said...

I love your blog, the topics are so eclectic!