Saturday, September 6, 2008

*
*
*

Just for Fun Sunday


My Prayer Table

I dragged a shelf in from the barn this evening to replace one that was just too small. Very girlie prayer area. Sort of Shabby Chic meets Our Lord.





Our Lady of Grace was rescued from the church storeroom. She was teetering on the top shelf just waiting to fall. The tip of her nose has a tiny chip so I told Father I would take it home and do repairs. That was 8 years ago. I think she found a new home. Oh yes, the chip? Still there...


I made a tiny little flower crown with ribbon streamers for May. I liked it so much I decided Our Blessed Mother could wear her crown all year.





My Mother has pride of place on Our Lady's right side. She has two angels that watch over her.






The "prayer bowl" with prayer cards of people I pray for every day. Most of these cards were purchased on ebay. For you newer readers I do have an adoption program for these people. Just drop me an email with your address and I will send you someone to pray for. Most of these folks passed away 30 - 60 years ago and probably don't have anyone praying just for them. As you can see the bowl is overflowing with wonderful people. I call them my "bowl people." God understands...






This is a beautiful framed French holy card that I picked up in a shop on Grand Ave. in St. Paul about 7 or so years ago. The glass is curved and the back of the frame is solid metal.







This is where I keep my incense. I did this covered bowl when I was learning to porcelain paint and gave it to my father. When he died I brought it back home with me. Learning to porcelain paint after doing quite a bit of oil painting was nerve wracking. You paint the foreground before the background and even worse you have to fire it between painting sessions. This piece was fired about 8 times before it was completed.




Stuffed Prayer Bowl





The incense burner. Yes folks - I'm one of those "smells and bells" kinda people. Can't get any incense at church so I just burn it at home when I pray. I have those cute little charcoal thingys that start themselves and I buy my incense at a church supply or online. One night I was really getting into the incense and not only had the burner cranked up but also fired up a few extra sticks of some special hand-dipped incense. I was praying away when all of a sudden my eyes started to just drip and run. I looked up and saw a layer of smoke just floating about midway between the floor and the ceiling. It looked like flying into Denver on a bad day.





My favorite picture of The Good Shepherd. Yes, I know this would not be considered "fine art" but I love the image of the black sheep in Our Lord's arm. See the little black sheep peeking from behind His robe? That would be me......





My grandma's rosary is on the top shelf. She died when I was 9 and I still miss her. Before my Mom died she told me that not a day went by that she didn't miss her mother (my grandma.) I was 36 when my Mom died. And guess what? I have missed her everyday for the past 26 years.





And, of course, a picture of hubby.





I would love to see some of your special prayer tables or altars.


*

*

15 comments:

gemoftheocean said...

Haven't got a "special place" like that, but yours is neat!!! I love the stuff on it and around it.

Karen

Scott M. Frey said...

I enjoyed seeing your prayer space and learning the significance of all the items...

I am an incense and bells kinda guy myself and revel in the ritual and symbols of our faith. They comfort me.

X said...

"Shabby Chic meets Our Lord" - ROFL!

The chip on the statue or Our Lady of Grace - better on her nose than her shoulder...

My computer room is also known as "the SHRINE" to my kids. My son is scared to sleep in here when he visits (guilty conscience?) so I put his fiancee in here instead. She loves it. I will post pics later.

EC Gefroh said...

Beautiful Adrienne! I haven't got one either but you sure are giving me ideas.

irene said...

Beautiful prayer space. And don't apologize because something is not trendy or "high art", so long as it is beautiful.

And thank you for a post about religion instead of politics.

Mark D. said...

Very impressive home altar area. We don't have one at our house, although I think it would be wonderful to have one.

Your comment about missing parents is so true. My dad passed away back in 1987, and there literally is not a day that goes by that I don't miss him terribly. I dread the day my mom goes to her reward.

How precious and fragile are our lives, and how little do we imagine the impact that our leaving has on those left behind.

X said...

Well, Girl, you got me all fired up this afternoon! I cleared off a shelf in my bookcase that was full of photos dated 1968 to the present. Those are in a box now waiting to be sorted properly. I then shuffled around my Catholic books (3 shelves worth) and the top shelf in the case is now the repository for a number of special items. Check out my blog for photos. And thank you for inspiring me!

Dymphna said...

I like the chip on Our Lady's nose. It looks like she's been out and got a bit of sunburn.

Kelly said...

I also loved the shabby chic meets Our Lord line. Very funny. I am a big fan of incense too and read something some time ago that made me want to get a Holy Water Font for near the door. My thought was to have Holy Water and fresh flowers on a table in the entry way every day (or maybe just a blooming houseplant as I don't actually grow flowers). I have a wonderful framed picture I took while in Germany of a crucifix statue that was in the town I lived in and I think when I get my area set up there will be a place for that on the table as well. Thanks for sharing!

Rob said...

Absolutely wonderful! I've been wanting to do something similar forever. You might have nudged me just enough. When I get it done, I'll do a picture. (Please do not hold your breath. My clock runs on geological time.)

catholicandgop said...

I love the crown of flowers you have on your Mary statue, its beautiful.

Tracy said...

Wow, it is just wonderful.. thank you so much for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful. So much in your sacred space area that I can relate to. Mine is a small table, but you've given me a wonderful idea of putting a shelf above. Just love the fact that our Lady of Grace found a new home, and also love your "bowl people". :)

Kirk said...

Andrienne,
I like your prayer space a lot. Like some of the other posts I don't have a particular prayer space but I might just be inspired enough by you to create one!

I know what you mean about your mother. My father died in 1996 and I miss him a lot. I often have things I would like to share wit him, or if I make something particularly nice I think ' gosh Dad would love to be eating this' . . .
And my grandmother only died this year so her going is still fresh in my heart but now I am wearing her gold cross - an inheritance.

owenswain said...

I continue to pray for my three. Every now and then I think perhaps I should add more.