Monday, May 12, 2008



Confirmation

Tonight is Confirmation for the young people of our parish. As usual, they were very nonchalant at rehearsal last night. What is about to happen really doesn't hit them until the Bishop processes in. I used to become very frustrated thinking, "why don't they "get it", until I realized the Holy Spirit does His job quite nicely without my help.

Rogier van der Weyden. Seven Sacraments Altarpiece. Baptism, Confirmation, and Penance. Detail of the left wing. c.1445-1450. Oil on panel. Koninklijk Museum voor Schone Kunsten, Antwerp, Belgium

2 comments:

gemoftheocean said...

Congrats to your gang. I had a good laugh last Saturday. At a friend's parish they had confirmation. Afterwards I had a word with the bishop and he shook my hand.

We went out to dinner afterwards, and as I was musing over the menu I hand my right hand in a fist under my nose in that "h'mmm....whaddoIwant" gensture. I realized that my hand smelled really, really, really good for some reason...and then I realized...the bishop still had enough chrism on his hand to transfer it to me!

Adrienne said...

That is one heavenly smell. Our Bishop did a great job. Even his homily this year was quite good. It was obvious the kids were moved.