Wednesday, March 5, 2008


Parable Party

Scott over at SoberNuggets and Mark at Dominican Idaho have tagged me for the same task. I told Scott in a moment of insanity that since I had been tagged twice, I would pick ten of my favorite parables instead of the required five. What was I thinking???

The Assignment:

First, list your five favorite parables from the New Testament.
Then, tag 5 new peeps to do this!
Thirdly, link back to this post for reference.

First, though, let me tell you a bit about these two wonderful bloggers. You may have guessed by the title of Scott’s blog that either he is a recovering alcoholic like yours truly, or a very serious person. If you guessed recovering alcoholic, you would be correct. We are both Catholic members of Alcoholic’s Anonymous, but choose to be very public about our addiction. For me, it's a way of doing what we in the program call “12th step work.”

Unless you have been living in a cave, you know that we drunks have a program called the Twelve Steps, and as my pastor said after reviewing the steps, “You know, those steps are very Catholic.” The 12th step says, Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.” My continued sobriety depends on my being available to those that still suffer. By not being anonymous I make myself more available. That is my choice and is in no way a reflection on those who choose anonymity. Visit Scott and witness how theTwelve Steps can transform a life.

Mark, at Dominican Idaho, is a lay-Dominican. Along with John Keenan, he has been instrumental in initiating the Blessed Margaret of Castello Chapter of the Lay Dominicans in Boise, Idaho. Mark’s conversion story is one of the most inspiring I have ever read. I have linked here to both versions, which are available on their Blessed Margaret site. Spend some time getting to know Mark, as it will enrich your life.

My favorite Parables (subject to change at any time and yes, Mark, there’s only 5.)

The Forgiving Father (Prodigal Son) Luke 15:11-32
The Seeds Matt. 13:3-23, Mark 4:3-20, Luke 8:4-15
The Straying Sheep (Divine Mercy) Matt.18:12-14, Luke 15:3-7
The Mustard Seed & the Leaven Matt. 13:31-35, Mark 4:30-32, Luke 13:18-21
The Good Shepherd John 10:1-21

Poll in Sidebar

I tossed about the idea of actually doing a series on the Twelve Steps for Everyone from a Catholic/Christian perspective. I know there are books available, but for us internet junkies (addicts??), it would be a way to access some of this information while we are worshipping in front of our favorite idol. On the left is a poll, so take a moment and vote.

15 comments:

ArchAngel's Advocate said...

For those who don't know, the 12 Steps were formulated by Bill W. (a Roamin' Catholic) & a Dr. (?) (sorry, my copy of the "Big Book" of AA, along with my Ala-Non lit is in storage). What is not commonly known is that Bill W. was advised during his "sobering up" period by a Jesuit (back when they had their heads on straight), so much in the "Big Book" is reminiscent of the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius with the "serial numbers filed off" in keeping with the religiously unaffiliated nature of AA. (You can't keep us Catholics from sticking our noses into anything)

Adrienne said...

AA - right on! One of Bill W's friends and spiritual advisor was Bishop Fulton J. Sheen. The story is that Bill W. did not convert to being a Catholic because he thought it might destroy the unity of AA.

Other important figures during AA's formative period was Sister Ignatia, Father Edward Dowling, SJ, and Father Sam Shoemaker, an Episcopalian.

Adrienne said...

AA -- that would be Dr. Bob

catholicandgop said...

You should have done 10. ;)

Tom in Vegas said...

Do write the 12 steps series. While developed to overcome alcoholism, I think they might be applicable to many areas.

Adrienne said...

catholicandgop - It took me forever just to do five. I'm so OCD that they had to be just the right five - the perfect five - at least for today:)

Scott M. Frey said...

gee thanks Adrienne for the wonderful write up, now I shall have to attend extra meetings in order to get my ego back under control... LOL just joking :-)

I too was afraid that my joining the Catholic Church last Easter might somehow create a Schizm within AA. But, alas, AA has once again survived :-) (again... meeting... ego...)

X said...

Get out of my brain! Years ago I was in Al-Anon and those steps never really left me. I would LOVE to see you do a series on this as the thought flitted across my brain about this very topic.

Mark said...

Fr. Emmerich Vogt is Prior-Provincial of the Western Dominican Province; see his The 12 Step Review

Terry Nelson said...

YES - by all means - write a layman's guide to the 12 Steps from a Catholic perspective - by a Catholic layman - woman. Yes - this is your mission - I'm convinced of it. I'm powerless.

Adrienne said...

Scott - you deserved a little heads up. Glad AA survived:)

Angela - Are you creeped out?? Don't be. Just sit back and breathe deeply - things will be better in the morning.

Mark -- Hey, GREAT site. I can just steal all his great stuff and save myself a big bunch of work.

X said...

Not creeped out at all - excited, yes!

Adrienne said...

Oh the pressure!

Anonymous said...

Have just discovered your blog Adrienne, God bless you. Please do write up something about the Catholic perspective on the 12 steps! Thank you.

Holding it together with 4 days,

-Tom

Adrienne said...

anon Tom - we all only have one day. It does get easier and life does get better. This I can promise you:)