Sunday, February 3, 2008


Super Tuesday and Ash Wednesday

I don’t think it is purely coincidental this year that Super Tuesday falls on the day before Ash Wednesday. Lent will be a wonderful time for a symbolic purification after being subjected to the blathering and just plain ugliness of political campaigning.

We have just a few days until the beginning of Lent. On Wednesday we will be anointed with blessed ashes symbolizing several different things. In the Old Testament, ashes symbolized mourning, mortality and penance. Today, we think in terms of prayer, penance, and almsgiving. All of these things are worthy of our consideration in a special way during Lent.

This year’s Lenten message by Pope Benedict XVI is focused on the theme of almsgiving. If we are living our Catholic faith, almsgiving is a given, not to make a pun. Perhaps, what our Holy Father is saying is that we should stretch just a bit. If you give up your Starbucks for Lent how about doubling the amount you would have spent and give that money to a worthy cause? That would be stretching.

Search your soul for defects of your character that separate you from God. Take notice of the times you escape into self-pity, greed and envy. Let go of any arrogance you may harbor. Recognize that without God you are nothing more than the ashes that were placed on your forehead.

Some good spiritual reading is always a good idea for Lent, as well as being more consistent with your prayer life. Lent is a wonderful time to read the Gospels and join yourself to the passions of Christ.

Don’t wait for Ash Wednesday to think about the things you may like to do for Lent. If you do, you will wake up on the eve of Easter and wonder where Lent went. Make Lent a part of your conversion journey and plan accordingly as you would for a vacation trip.

3 comments:

Tom in Vegas said...

Very well stated. Again, I'm beginning to think you're Catholic:0)

I love Lent. It's an incipient renewal not jut for us, but for all of Nature.

I think meditating on the Stations of the Cross is one of the best spiritual exercises for this time of year.

kritterc said...

I enjoyed reading this post. I have been thinking and praying a lot over the past few days about what changes I need to make physically and spiritually. Your words were a blessing and have given me some ideas of where to start. I converted to Catholicism almost 30 years ago, but it has only been during past few years that I have begun to understand what being Catholic truly means. There is so much to learn and I am loving every minute of it!! Peace and Blessings!!

Mulier Fortis said...

Just thought I'd pop over and say hallo! (I can rarely resist checking out my comment authors!)