Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Called by God

In just a few weeks, the participants in this year’s RCIA classes at our parish will celebrate the Rite of Election. Our Bishop will be here and the Catechumens will sign the Book of the Elect signifying their next step in the journey to becoming a Catholic.

Every Monday night since last Easter, these fine people have spent Monday evenings with our pastor and a team of teachers. I am aware that not all RCIA programs are created equally. As I surf the web, it becomes apparent that many, if not most, RCIA programs place most of the emphasis on feelings, and very little on what I like to call the “nuts and bolts” of Catholicism.

At our church, we believe that a person who actually signs up for RCIA has at least a passing knowledge of what a Christian is, and is not clueless when it comes to how a Christian should live. That being the case, we move rapidly past that period loosely referred to as the “inquiry.” They are given a Catechism and the process becomes twofold - a conversion of heart, and a conversion of the intellect.

Through attendance at Mass and through prayer, having been taught some methods of discernment, their hearts are opened to the mysteries of God and His saving grace. This is the “feeling” part of becoming a Catholic. Feelings are not bad things to have but they are subject to change. If someone were to base their entire conversion experience on feelings, there would not be a lot for them to grab hold of when the first “dark night of the soul” rolled around.

It is the “nuts and bolts” that keep us moving forward when feelings have taken a mid-winter vacation. It is the authority, given by God, to the Catholic Church that allows her (the Church) to say, “I’m sorry if your feelings are not up to par today. That is why I gave you guidelines and rules. You see, I appealed to your intellect in order to win your heart.”

This year, as in years past, when our Catechumens take the next step at the Rite of Election, they will know intellectually why they are signing that book. And they will feel the words of scripture proclaimed that day from John 17;

Lifting up His eyes to heaven, Jesus prayed, saying: “Holy Father, keep them in Your name that you have given Me, so that they may be one just as We are one.”

“As you sent Me into the world, so I sent them into the world. And I consecrate Myself for them, so that they also may be consecrated in truth”.

10 comments:

Kelly said...

Adrienne-

I want to move to Idaho and go to RCIA at your parish! I actually just had a conversation with a friend where we were in agreement that thinking people will always gravitate to and eventually end up either Catholic or Orthodox because they approach their faith in a thoughtful manner just like other parts of their lives. Good post!

Tom in Vegas said...

"If someone were to base their entire conversion experience on feelings, there would not be a lot for them to grab hold of when the first “dark night of the soul” rolled around."

This is so true. I have recognized in myself the terrible propensity to allow my mood to influence my faith. I think ST. Ignatius has a great quote regarding this condition but I can't recall it verbatim.

Mark said...

Adrienne,

What a delight to find your blog. You have a great task in RCIA, and it gives joy to my heart that you are approaching it with such fidelity and the respect and tenderness for souls it requires. May God bless you and your efforts and the dear souls in your charge.

X said...

Adrienne,I am glad their are good classes like yours out there!

Kit said...

Amen Adrienne!!! Thanks for your commitment and for your kind comments to me. I have been lurking about for a bit and enjoy your posts so much! All of this year's RCIA'ers are high on my prayer list as we share a "birthday" this year. From what I've seen, I am confident you are teaching them in a year what it has taken me a lifetime to learn as a Catholic. I hope they know how lucky they are to have you leading them in their formation! You, your "flock," and your efforts are in my prayers.

:)
-Kit

Rita said...

Adrienne, I'm much in need of your wisdom and greater experience in these things.

I'm planning to hold a get-together (on Father's suggestion) for last years RCIA "graduates" to get together and compare their struggles and joys. It will take place over Lent sometime. Do you think I should keep it quite impersonal, speak about the efficacy of the Sacraments and slip in some crafty readings about temptation and turning to God? Or should it be more touchy-feely?

4 of the group are teenagers (14-18 years old), two of whom have fallen in love big time with non-Catholics since they were received into the Church and are having battles... and the other is the father of one of them. It may be difficult/unwise for them to open up...

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Adrienne said...

Rita – if they’re getting together to share joys and struggles it’s already touchy-feely (which is ok.) The problem is with the range of ages. I’m assuming it’s the older teenagers with the love complications, which at that age is a hard thing to discuss under any circumstances. Being madly in love at 18 or so is just a part of being that age and can probably just be ignored. They could be encouraged to bring their girl/boy friends to Mass.

I would remind all the participants that their continued study is important and perhaps hand out a reading list and give them some good websites to visit. Conversion is a life long endeavor and requires our active participation and this aspect could be stressed.

Maybe a presentation on our responsibilities as Catholics, something on the sacramental life, and some good discussion questions designed to draw them out. I would keep the presentation to about 30 minutes, take a break with goodies available, and then have discussion time.

I actually think your pastor has come up with a great idea and will think about doing something similiar at our church.

Rita said...

Thank you ever so much, Adrienne. However, "sharing struggles and joys" may not quite be touchy-feely with all that British "stiff upper lip" that they learn from an early age!

Prayer, a short presentation, a simple meal, time for chat, and an invitation to the significant others are in order.

Jennifer said...

It sounds like you have a great program. I thik it's so important to have a great course and experiences throughout it.

My dh is going through the course right now and it has improved alot since I did it at the parish 10 years ago.

Tom in Vegas said...

All these people writing to thank you and acknowledging you wisdom. Doesn't it hurt your pocket book?

ROFL!!