Sunday, March 10, 2013

Spring has sprung...(and an inspiring video)

seen last week:




My tomatoes have popped up:




Starting seeds is easy.  In the spring, I put a shelf unit in front of my back slider.  First to be planted are the tomatoes and the eggplant.  The only flowers I start this early are the moss roses.  The plastic covers are Costco spring mix lettuce boxes turned upside down.  Simple... 



When the plants are large enough, they will be moved to my upright cold frame hubby built for me using an old slider door and some free glass panels from our local window guy.



I also overwinter 4 or 5 different color geranium plants.   Geraniums root easily and those plants will produce about 50 or 75 additional plants for my garden and pots.  Notice the library books are overflowing their tote.



The greatest gift you can give your children is the stuff you teach them how to do.  My mom had me pulling weeds when I was barely in an upright and locked position.  She even convinced me it was fun (it is!)  In just a few months, we'll be eating strawberries, tomatoes, cucumbers, Roma beans, eggplant, lettuce, spinach, summer squash, and onions - all from our little garden.

My dad taught me how to caulk our storm windows, and now I'm the caulk queen of the household.  I can change washers in faucets, replace toilet innards, and cut in a perfect line when I paint the walls.  I do, however, manage to paint myself too.  Very messy!

The sun is shining, and I'll be outside trimming, spraying, and - pulling weeds.  Yay! 

Watch this inspiring video of a man who changes lives. 

Gardening Changes Lives

Just ask Ron Finley of South Central L.A.
Ron Finley plants vegetable gardens in South Central LA -- in abandoned lots, traffic medians, along the curbs. Why? For fun, for defiance, for beauty and to offer some alternative to fast food in a community where "the drive-thrus are killing more people than the drive-bys."
You have to actually visit to see the video...

No comments: