Saturday, February 25, 2012

Santorum is only half right: Obama is not just a snob...

but a not very bright one. 

Did I go to college?  Yes.  And then I got smart and went to "beauty" school, otherwise called a college of cosmetology.  Out of curiosity, I went on a little Google hunt for the average earnings of attorneys.  Here's what I discovered.   After comparing stats from numerous sites, I came up with average earning capabilities for attorneys of between 40K - 80K, depending on the city in which they were practicing. 

Over time, an attorney in some big hot-shot firm could earn up to 170K per year.  Only a very few who graduate each year, however, and only those from so-called upper tier schools, have a chance of worming their way into such a situation. 

I have news for the elitist snobs of the world.  A good hairdresser, plumber, electrician, or landscaper can earn way more than that.   The elitists will claim that an attorney will have the potential to earn an increasing amount of money due to his education.  That's not necessarily so, however, because hairdressers, plumbers, electricians, and landscapers can eventually start their own businesses, if they choose, just as I did, and advance in earnings as high, or higher, than an attorney.

When did we turn into a country that disparaged the trades? Take a gander at many of the average college students today.  Border line functionally illiterate, they typically take crap courses, taught by Marxist professors.  They look like slobs and have the morals of alley cats.  They graduate with high sounding degrees in courses like women's studies, philosophy, and dance while putting themselves into massive debt.  How smart is that?

This is not to disparage all people going to college.  Certainly, we have hard working students working toward degrees in engineering and the like.  I know some of them, and they are outstanding individuals.  But this idea that your life is over if you don't attend college is just plain stupid.

On a side note, I financed my college education by working at night as a cocktail waitress in high-end hotels.  I made more 30 years ago than the average first year attorney earns in 2012, and I didn't saddle myself with 100K worth of debt in order to do it.





No comments: